BROMYARD Town assistant manager Mark Wenham thinks his team can challenge for the West Midlands (Regional) League Division One title next season.

The Delahay Meadow side lost 11 of their opening 13 games this season following relegation last year.

But more consistency since the turn of the year has seen them jump up to 11th position – five points above the bottom two places.

"The objective for next season is to strengthen the squad and actually have a go at the title and get back to the premier division," said Wenham.

"We certainly need to strengthen the squad next year and get some more experienced players and a bit more fitness.

"It has very much been a learning curve considering most of the lads were playing under-21s last year with Stourport Swifts.

"In the first 13 games we lost 11 and drew two, but we started to pick up and the lads began to compete with the other players.

"We've got two games left, a tough one first at Hereford Lads Club which is going to be a real test for us, and then we've got Kington away the following week.

"We've also got a cup final to play against Malvern Town, so overall we can be pleased with how the season has gone."

Bromyard – who will face Malvern in the final of the Worcestershire Royal Infirmary Cup on May 13 – bowed out of the League Cup last Saturday following a 3-1 defeat against Wednesfield.

However, Wenham said his team can be proud of how they performed especially after going down to 10 men.

"It would have been interesting if we had got a second goal with 10 minutes to go, but going down to 10 men makes it very difficult," he said.

"We had a game plan and I think we came through it very well.

"We conceded sloppy goals, but on reflection I'm quite pleased."

Bromyard were up against it from the start when they went behind in the second minute.

The home initially defended a free-kick, but Keith Thomas drilled the ball past Alex Rhodes in the Bromyard goal.

However, Bromyard were on level terms 10 minutes later thanks to an excellent finish from Tom Overfield.

Nathan Myers and Ben Maund then had efforts saved before Wednesfield went 2-1 up in the 33rd minute.

Brad Coward was on hand to fire the ball home after Rhodes made a save.

Wednesfield had a great chance to go further clear five minutes later, but Luke Yates' shot was cleared off the line.

However, the away side were handed a chance to go 3-1 up three minutes before half-time after Myers upended a player in the box.

Thomas duly converted the spot-kick, while Myers was booked for the foul.

Thomas had a great chance to complete his hat-trick within 30 seconds of the second half, but Rhodes did well to save his effort.

Bromyard remained in the game throughout the half, with Maund again having an effort on goal.

But all hopes of a comeback were effectively over when Myers was shown a straight red card following a late tackle.