Jamie Welch fired in a hat-trick to ease Ledbury Town's drop fears

JAMIE Welch fired in a hat-trick as Ledbury Town thrashed Gornal Athletic Reserves 6-1 to boost their chances of avoiding relegation from West Midlands League Division One.

Joel Skyers also scored a superb 30-yard free-kick as Paul Mann’s men hit five second-half goals and missed a host of opportunities in an action-packed second half.

Gornal took the early advantage as the speedy Johnson leapt into the box to fire the ball home after Mogg went on the break after stealing possession from Pete Boyle.

Ledbury responded when a superb ball from Dan Herbert enabled Welch to volley the ball over the keeper for his first goal.

Welch netted his second goal on the 48th minute before Tom Boyle notched a third.

Boyle produced a remarkable run past several struggling defenders to fire the ball into the top right-hand corner to put his side a clear two goals ahead with 35 minutes remaining.

Town extended their lead as Herbert picked the ball out from a well-taken Martin Loveridge corner to head home in the 57th minute.

Joel Skyers’ bicycle kick deflected off a post after being swatted away by the keeper and Welch was foiled by the keeper as Ledbury kept piling on the pressure.

Ledbury increased their advantage when Skyers’ stunning 30-yard strike flew into the back of the net.

Welch eventually gained his hat-trick on the 86th minute after an assist from Herbert allowed him to drill the ball home to the cheers of ecstatic Ledbury fans.

Previously, Ledbury Town sealed a 2-1 win at Malvern Town in the Worcestershire Infirmary Senior Cup competition.

A fantastic display in terms of both attacking and defence was rewarded with a great win over Ledbury’s local rivals over at the Langland Stadium, and the victory should guarantee the New Street side a home draw in the semi-finals of this local contest.

Joel Skyers, whose exquisite lob from 25 yards, sailed over the advancing keeper to give Ledbury the advantage with 25 minutes gone.

Town captain Pete Boyle marshalled his defence superbly, and on the half hour mark, Welch lobbed the hapless Malvern keeper to gift his side with a two-goal advantage .

Young Elliot Watts made two excellent saves from long range efforts before Malvern grabbed a late consolation goal with five minutes remaining.

Meanwhile, Wellington crashed to a 6-0 home defeat against Lye Town in the West Midlands League Premier Division.

After conceding two early goals, Derek Williams’ men hit back with Andy Price Josh Hunt and Matt Williams all going close.

Williams missed a sitter before further defensive mistakes let in the leaders.


Get Adobe Flash player
About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree