UPDATE: Bucknell camping death - site owner devastated for family

THE owner of a campsite where a girl died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning has spoken of his devastation at the tragedy.

Phil Wright, owner of the Baron campsite in Bucknell, said news of the teenager’s death, apparently because of gas fumes emitting from a disposable barbecue left in the porch of her family’s tent, had brought devastation to campers on the Bank Holiday weekend.

“We are absolutely devastated. Nobody knew them as they weren’t local but it was a big shock for everybody,” said Mr Wright.

Three members of the girl’s immediate family were also taken to hospital with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning after emergency services were called at around 9.45am on Sunday.

Two ambulances, a rapid response vehicle, a paramedic area support officer, a community first responder, a medical first responder and two Midlands Air Ambulances attended the scene.

A West Midlands Ambulance Service spokesperson said crews arrived to find CPR being carried out on a girl who was in cardiac arrest.

“There was a doctor on the campsite and she was the first to assist,” said Mr Wright.

Ambulance crews continued resuscitation efforts in an attempt to restart the girl’s heart.

“Sadly, despite their best efforts nothing could be done to save the girl and she was confirmed dead on scene,” said Claire Thomas, a spokesperson for West Midlands Ambulance Service.

“A boy, believed to be 11-years-old, was suffering from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning.

"Crews and the doctor began oxygen therapy and, due to his serious condition, the boy was airlifted to Royal Shrewsbury Hospital for emergency treatment; paramedics continued to monitor the boy’s condition on route to hospital.

“A woman and man were also given oxygen therapy by ambulance crews before being taken by land ambulance on blue lights to the same hospital for further treatment.”

The girl’s family were at the campsite with the families of her mother’s two sisters.

They raised the alarm after becoming concerned about their welfare.

Mr Wright said members of the extended family came “from all over the country”.

Comments

Comments are closed on this article.

click2find

About cookies

We want you to enjoy your visit to our website. That's why we use cookies to enhance your experience. By staying on our website you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more about the cookies we use.

I agree