Get involved! Send your photos, video, news & views by texting HT NEWS to 80360 or e-mail us
Hereford United to end its scholarship programme
HEREFORD United chairman David Keyte has committed the club’s highly rated youth side to fulfilling its remaining alliance league fixtures this season.
But the club's scholarship programme is over.
Mr Keyte said the programme was “impossible to continue” without Football League funding.
Current scholars still have the chance of contracts with the club, with two already signed on.
United’s plea last month for sponsors for the current youth side in February met with no response.
While second year scholars are expected to complete their course, the six first year scholars will be “helped to find other clubs”, said Mr Keyte.
The club did propose to continue with its own age group teams – including an under 18 side – without paid scholarships, he said.
Managed Peter Beadle, the young bulls have earned plaudits this season, particularly for their strong performance against Manchester City in the FA Youth Cup.
But, at a recent meeting with Football League representatives, the club agreed that it was “not appropriate” to field a side in the youth alliance league with only six scholars.
Ahead of the club’s AGM tonight (Monday), Mr Keyte confirmed that the youth side was still looking to fulfil its remaining fixtures.
There was, he said, no restriction on the club signing current scholars on full contracts if manager Martin Foyle selected any to do so.
Comments are closed on this article.