POLICE have launched a murder investigation after a 20-year-old woman died in Hereford.

West Mercia Police said there was "no risk to the wider public", adding a 21-year-old man arrested on suspicion of murder being released on police bail.

Investigations are continuing, police say, and the Hereford Times understands there have been door-to-door enquiries in Green Street, where the woman was found with "unexplained injuries" on Sunday morning.

Here's what we know so far:

What happened in Green Street, Hereford?

West Mercia Police said it was called shortly after 5am on Sunday (July 17) to report of a concern for safety.

Officers attended, along with paramedics from West Midlands Ambulance Service, and a 20-year-old woman was found with what police said were "unexplained injuries".


She was pronounced dead at the scene.

The Hereford Times initially asked West Mercia Police for comment on Sunday, but a statement was not issued until midday on Thursday.

Have police arrested anyone?

West Mercia Police said a 21-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of murder.

While he was initially in custody, he has since been released on police bail pending further inquiries.

What have police said?

Detective Inspector Mark Walters said it was an "incredibly sad incident" and his thoughts go out to the family of the young woman who has lost her life.

“I understand that incidents of this nature can be alarming, but would like to reassure the local community that this is an isolated incident and there is no wider risk to the public," he added.

“You may see an increased police presence in the area over the coming days as our investigation continues.”

What has West Midlands Ambulance Service said?

A spokesperson for the ambulance service said it was called to reports of an incident in Green Street at 5.09am on Sunday morning.

Two ambulances and a paramedic officer attended the scene.


On arrival, paramedics discovered one patient, a woman, who was in a critical condition.

Ambulance staff immediately began administering advanced life support but sadly, despite their best efforts, it became apparent nothing could be done to save the woman and she was pronounced dead.

What is the street like?

Hereford Times reporter James Thomas has been down to Green Street today and says it was just like a normal day, as you might expect.

There were people going about their usual businesses, parents on their way to pick up children from school, with the scene just a stone's throw from St James CE Primary School.

For anyone who doesn't know the area, it is only a 10-minute walk from High Town, near to St Owen Street and Ledbury Road.

While it is close to the city centre, it is a quiet, residential area. There was a crime scene investigation van parked up at the scene when I arrived, but that soon moved on and was replaced by one officer in a car as a scene guard.

We will continue to push West Mercia Police for further updates.