A PUBGOER has been ordered to pay £2,000 after he attacked a man in Hereford during "a moment of drunken stupidity", leaving the victim with a slashed hand and arm.

Hereford Crown Court heard how Oliver Robison, 21, had been at Hogarths, in Commercial Road, where there had been an argument over a pint in the beer garden.

Prosecution barrister Caroline Harris said that Robinson then went inside and punched the victim several times and pushed him onto a glass object, although the exact item was not known.

She said the glass caused cuts to the victim's hand and arm, with the injuries needing 19 stitches and leaving him without the full use of his hand for several months. The court heard he suffered a tendon injury and needed skin grafts.


CCTV footage played to the court showed how an unknown man had pulled Robinson away from the victim before that second person carried on the attack.

In a statement, the court heard how the victim had been emotionally unwell in the months after the attack, suffering from depression and anxiety, and was unable work due to the nerve damage.

This meant he had to borrow money from family to pay bills, and was scared that if he didn't regain full use of his hand he might have to change careers.

In the statement, he also said how he was scared Robinson would attack again, feeling anxious if ever he saw him around Hereford, and his social life was also affected as he stopped playing football.


The movement in his hand had since improved, and he had been able to return to work, but the court ordered £2,000 compensation be paid to him.

Defence barrister Mark Thompson said that Robinson was not the main aggressor, but was the only attacker caught by police after the assault on August 4, 2021.

Robinson was said to be "rightfully" ashamed of his actions, and was shocked and troubled at the extent of the injuries caused.

Mr Thompson said that the death of Robinson's dad had had a huge impact on him.

But he also said that Robinson had helped a family member with their mental health.

He also lost a friend in 2018 to a drug overdose, and was continuing to support their family.

Mr Thompson said this was a truer reflection on Robinson than the "drunken exploits in August last year".

He then described the attack as a "drunken moment of stupidity".


Judge Nicholas Cole said Robinson appeared "proud" of the attack, with CCTV showing him gesturing with open arms towards another group afterwards.

After pleading guilty to inflicting grievous bodily harm without intent, Robinson, of Whitecross Road, Hereford, was handed a 16-month prison sentence, suspended for two years.

The judge noted his timely guilty plea and genuine remorse, but said the attack was aggravated by his criminal history, being under the influence of alcohol and the fact it took place in a pub.

He must also take part in the Thinking Skills programme, complete up to 10 rehabilitation activity requirement days and have an electronically-monitored curfew between 8pm and 6am for four months.

He was also told to pay £2,000 compensation to the victim in the next six months, and handed a three-year restraining order preventing him from contacting the victim.