SMOKE was pouring from a large bin in a Herefordshire village as firefighters were called to tackle the incident.

A rubbish bin in Watling Street, Leintwardine, was reported to be smouldering at 3.20pm yesterday (April 28).

According to the fire service, rubbish and refuse on fire were extinguished using a hose reel jet and a thermal imaging camera was used to check for hot spots. 

Firefighters left the scene at 3.42pm.


The fire service did not specify whether the bin was a public one on the street, or one belonging to a home or business.

In any emergency such as fires, emergency services say you should call 999 and ask for the fire service as soon as you can and get to safe place.

Avoid smoky areas due to the health hazards associated with inhaling smoke. Inhaling harmful smoke can inflame your lungs and airway, causing them to swell and block oxygen.