FIREFIGHTERS were called to a back garden in Hereford to tackle a bonfire in the early hours of the morning.

Hereford Fire Station received the call at one minute past midnight on April 27 and rushed to the scene in Whitecross Road.

A fire service spokesperson said the crew used a hose reel jet to extinguish the flames.

The fire service confirmed that the crew left the scene to return to their station 50 minutes later.


Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service offers advice for fires in the open, suggesting that people get rid of waste by taking it to a household waste and recycling centre instead of burning it.

Those who do decide to have a bonfire should build them well clear of buildings, fences and hedges, and avoid using flammable liquids or burning dangerous items such as aerosol cans, paint tins, foam furniture or batteries.

It is also important, the fire service says, not to leave bonfires unattended and to keep a bucket of water or a hosepipe nearby.