A WOMAN who lost her beloved dog in a devastating fire wants to get in touch with a delivery driver who tried to save him.

Mandi Beavan's life turned upside down earlier this month when her flat caught fire in Gosmore Road, Clehonger. 

Sadly, her pet dog, Norbit died in the blaze. Mandi is currently staying in temporary accommodation but is hopeful of returning home in the next few weeks.


"We as a family are overwhelmed by all the support from family, friends and locals, including the children at Clehonger Primary School and complete strangers," she said.

"The fire crew, police, Belmont Vets and your work have all gone above and beyond for us. 

"Also an unknown delivery who also tired to save our boy, Norbit. I would love to thank him, but have no idea who he was.

"We are working with Herefordshire Council and Connexus at the moment and hope to be back into the village very soon.

"Myself, my partner Roy and daughter Tia are altogether and safe, so we take comfort from that."

Hereford Times: Norbit lost his life in a flat fire in ClehongerNorbit lost his life in a flat fire in Clehonger (Image: Mandi Beavan)

An online Just Giving page set up to help the family has so far raised nearly £4,500. 

A spokesperson for Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service said three crews were called shortly before 1.30pm on December 7. 

"A fire was extinguished in a first-floor flat by two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus and using one hose reel jet," he said.

"A thermal imaging camera and a gas monitor were both deployed with the property fully ventilated naturally. A dog was recovered from the property.

"The police and ambulance service were both in attendance and the road was closed in both directions."