A FORMER binman who made national headlines after kicking the head off a snowman in Hereford was caught with a knife in his sock after smashing a door at Hereford's police station.

Callum Woodhouse appeared before magistrates in Hereford for sentencing in March after entering guilty pleas to one count of causing criminal damage and one count of possessing a knife in a public place at an earlier hearing.

The alarm was raised at Hereford's police station after Woodhouse kicked and smashed a glass door, having presented himself at the front desk to make an enquiry at 2.30pm on February 10, prosecutor Melanie Winterflood said.


The 21-year-old was restrained and placed under arrest, and revealed he had a kitchen knife in his sock when he was asked if he was carrying any weapons.

He made no comment in interview with officers, Miss Winterflood said.

The court heard that Woodhouse has one previous conviction for battery dating back to January 2020.

Marilena Di Vitantonio, for Woodhouse, said that a "very long and detailed" pre-sentencing report, which was not read out in open court, had been prepared by the probation service.

Want to stay up to date with all the latest court and crime news? It's easy, just click here to join our Hereford Times Court and Crime group on Facebook or click here to sign up for our free weekly court and crime email newsletter.

"I think you will gather that mental health plays a big part in this," she said.

The court heard Woodhouse had been seen by mental health professionals, but that he had gone to the police station as he felt he needed more help.

"He was unable to get that help and kicked out at the door in frustration," Miss Di Vitantonio said.

"He would welcome a community order with open arms as he feels he needs help and no-one is listening."

The court heard that Woodhouse had been subject to a conditional discharge at the time.

The conditional discharge was revoked and Woodhouse, of Lowfield Meadow, Kingstone, was handed a 132-day prison sentence, suspended for 18 months.

He was also ordered to pay prosecution costs of £135 and a £154 victim surcharge.