THIS weekend marks 50 years since Hereford United beat top division Newcastle United in debatably the biggest FA Cup shock in history.

Ronnie Radford’s equalising goal in Hereford’s 2-1 win on February 5, 1972, is still replayed on televisions across the world.

Ricky George’s extra-time winner shocked the world as part-time Hereford knocked out top flight Newcastle.

“The crowd when that second goal went in you could have heard the noise at Ludlow or Cardiff,” said player/manager Colin Addison.

“It was one hell of a shout and it was a lovely feeling to get in and get the champagne open.”

Addison described that Ronnie Radford goal in their famous FA Cup with over Newcastle United as one of the best seen at Edgar Street,

The Bulls had trailed in the FA Cup third round replay from a 82nd minute Malcolm MacDonald header.

However, the Bulls came storming back with Radford netting the famous equaliser which is still replayed.


“We didn’t start crying or getting tears around the place,” said Addison on the 50th anniversary of the famous win on February 5, 1972.

“It was a great cross and Malcolm McDonald buried it with a great header at the far post.

“It was a worthy goal of winning any game but they didn’t go on to win that game.

“We got on with it, took the game to them but there wasn’t a lot of time to go.

“We got that absolutely magnificent goal from Mr Radford.

“It was one of the best goals we will ever see at Edgar Street, simple as that.

“We thought on the field he was going to pass, but this time he took it on, came out of the mud.

“He just got behind it and pulled the trigger into the top corner.

“I think if Newcastle had two or three players playing in goal they still wouldn’t have saved that.”

After drawing the first game 2-2 the game went into extra-time before Ricky George scored a 103rd minute winner to send Edgar Street wild.

“With tricky Ricky George down the right-hand side the ball broke,” added Addison.

“He took it on, was well inside the box from a tight angle and finished with a tremendous low shot.

“He just belted it past the goalkeeper. (Willie) McFaul threw himself down in the mud but the pace on the ball from Ricky secured the winning goal.”

At the time Hereford United were playing in the Southern Football League, the fifth tier of non-league football.

They had beaten Cheltenham Town, King’s Lynn and Northampton Town over three games with two drawn to reach the third round.

Meanwhile, top-flight Newcastle had six international players in their side and home advantage for the first game game which was drawn 2-2.

“It was such a big game, a big club and against big players, it was such a great challenge for us,” added Addison.

“We were up for it, simple as that.

“The score was 2-2 at half-time and I remember sitting them down and going through one or two things, not 20 things.

“Just to keep it going with a good shape and discipline.

“They did it, got us through and it was an absolutely magnificent result getting 2-2 at St James’ Park.

“We got back from Newcastle on the train and the next day I remember going into the boardroom and you couldn’t move for people selling tickets.

“There was a big problem that they’d sold all the tickets and Frank Myers, the chairman, turned around and said don’t worry print some more.

“A lot of people said they would score 10 goals in the replay.

“We didn’t shout about it or weren’t silly about it. We had a few jokes about it before the game.”