ANYONE from Herefordshire planning to make the trip across the border into Wales this bank holiday weekend will have to follow different rules than when at home.

The Welsh Government has been responsible for making the coronavirus rules in Wales, so what you can and can't do can differ to the UK Government's rules for England.

If you're planning a trip to Wales, whether it be the Brecon Beacons or the seaside, here's what you need to know.

What restrictions are in place?

According to the Welsh Government website, the current restrictions mean that:

  • You must not enter other people’s homes, except for very limited purposes
  • You must limit the number of people that they meet socially and they can only do so outdoors
  • Face coverings continue to be mandatory in the indoor public spaces that remain open (subject to certain exemptions and exceptions), including on public transport and in taxis
  • People should try and work from home if they can
  • You should maintain social distancing, including outdoors
  • You should wash their hands regularly and follow other advice on hygiene
  • Anyone contacted by NHS Wales Test, Trace, Protect must self-isolate when told to do so

What happens if I don’t follow this guidance?

The Welsh Government says most of what is set out in this guidance reflects requirements in the regulations, which is the law and so may be enforced by the police or local authority enforcement officers.


However, even when things are permitted, the Government says people should think carefully about what is the most sensible thing for you to do to protect your family, friends and your community, rather than thinking about what the law allows you to do.

"Where you breach the law, you may be told to go home or removed from where you are and returned home," its website says.

"You could be asked to pay a fixed penalty notice of £60. This will rise to £120 for the second breach and continue to increase for further breaches.

"For more serious offences, penalties start at £500. Or you could have criminal proceedings brought against you, and if found guilty, you will have to pay a fine."

How long will these measures stay in place?

The Welsh Government keeps the national measures under constant review.

Can people from another household come into my home?

Generally, people from another household must not come in to another's home except for in limited circumstances, such as support bubles for single-adult households.

Meeting people from another household socially indoors is not allowed under the rules, unless the household is part of your support bubble. The Welsh Government says this is because it significantly increases the risk of spreading the virus.

Up to six people from up to six households (not including children under 11 from the households or carers of a member of these households) are permitted to meet outdoors, including in private gardens and private outdoor spaces.

Where this is the case, visitors can go through the house to reach the garden or outdoor space, but must not stay in the house.

"You should not use kitchen equipment, cutlery or anything else in another household," the website says.

"If you can, you should also avoid touching things indoors, such as light switches and door handles.

"There is also an additional penalty for taking part in house parties and a higher penalty for organising such parties."

Who can I meet up with outdoors?

Hereford Times:

Currently, up to six people from up to six households (excluding any carers or children under 11 from any of these households) can meet outdoors at any one time. This includes public outdoor spaces such as parks and outdoor areas of regulated premises and private outdoor spaces such as gardens.

However, the Welsh Government says:

  • Please try and reduce the number of different people you see. It is better to see the same people regularly than to see lots of different people occasionally
  • Please maintain social distancing and hand hygiene

Do I always have to meet the same people or can I vary who I meet?

You can vary the people you meet as long as the maximum number of people meeting at one time, that do not live together, is six from a maximum of six households (not including any carers or children under 11 from any of these households).

If you want to see different people, the Welsh Government recommends that you leave time in between meeting different groups of people to ensure that you have not developed symptoms of coronavirus from anyone in the first group of people you met.


It is asking people to think about what is the most sensible thing for you to do to protect your family, friends and your community, rather than thinking primarily about what you are allowed to do.

Are picnics with people outside my household or support bubble allowed?

Hereford Times:

Yes, if you remain outside and a maximum of six people from up to six households (not including carers or children under 11 from any of these households) meet at once.

You should maintain physical distancing and should avoid sharing or using the same items as people outside your household or support bubble, for example plates, cups and food packages.

Any item that is passed between people in different households will increase the risk of the spread of the virus.

What shops are allowed to open?

All retail can open and close contact services can open.

People should ensure that they maintain social distancing and hand hygiene when visiting shops. Shops must take all reasonable measures to manage risk, including ensure measures to maintain physical distancing are put in place.

Are accommodation businesses in Wales allowed to open?

Self-contained accommodation can open. This includes any accommodation which does not require guests to share washing facilities, toilets or kitchens.

Hotels and other serviced accommodation, for example, B&Bs and hostels, which have en-suite rooms and can provide room service meals also come in to this category.

All accommodation providers will be required to take all reasonable measures to minimise the spread of the virus.

Can I travel to and from my second home or holiday home?

Hereford Times:

Travel out of Wales to countries within the UK and the wider Common Travel Area (CTA) is permitted.

However, there may be restrictions in place within some countries within the CTA. You will therefore need to check the restrictions in the area you would like to travel to ensure that travel for this purpose is permitted.

If you live elsewhere in the UK or wider CTA, you will need to check the restrictions in place where you live before you travel to Wales for this purpose.

The Welsh Government is asking everyone to think carefully about the journeys they take and the people they meet.


It says we should all think carefully about where we go and who we meet because the more places we go and the more people we meet, the greater the chances there are of catching coronavirus.

In particular, it is also sensible to avoid travelling to and from areas with a higher incidence rate if you can.

Who can I stay with in holiday accommodation such as hotels, caravans or self-catering accommodation?

You will only be able to share holiday accommodation with the people you live with in your household, and people in your support bubble (or anyone who is a carer of a member of the household).

The Welsh Government says this helps to reduce the risk of coronavirus being transmitted significantly, as sleeping in close proximity to other people carries a high risk of transmission due to the length of time you spend near each other. 

Can I go to camping or caravan sites?

Hereford Times:

Camping and caravan sites are permitted to open as long as shared facilities and communal areas remain closed.

This includes facilities such as toilets, showers and laundry areas but it does not include water points and waste disposal points which can remain available.

This means that camping in a tent will not be possible, but staying in units or vehicles with self-contained facilities is permitted.

Are cafes, restaurants, pubs and bars able to open?

Outdoor hospitality, including cafes, restaurants, pubs and bars providing outdoor services. are allowed to open.

There are no longer any limits to when alcoholic drinks can be sold as normal licencing laws now apply.

How can cafés, restaurants, pubs and bars operate safely outdoors?

Hereford Times:

Venues are required to take all reasonable measures to minimise the risk of exposure to coronavirus. For example:

  • Customers will be encouraged to pre-book with details of all members of the group.
  • Contact details will be required for contact tracing purposes
  • Entry to the premises will be controlled
  • Licenced premises, such as pubs, will be providing table service only
  • All food and drink should be consumed at tables
  • Physical distancing measures will be applied, such as tables being spaced out
  • Face coverings must be worn other than when seated to eat or drink

When utilising outdoor spaces, hospitality venues are required to ensure that the use of physical coverings, awnings, gazebos, marquees and similar structures are implemented in a way that is aligned with current public health advice.

Generally this means that structures with a roof or ceiling must be open-sided (at least 3 sides or more than 51 per cent open).

Who can I visit outdoor cafés, restaurants, pubs and bars with?

You can visit outdoor hospitality venues such as cafés, restaurants, pubs and bars with your household or up to six people from no more than six households (not including any children or carers from any of these households).

Where will face coverings be required?

Face coverings must be worn in all indoor public places. This includes on public transport and taxis, and in places where take-away food and drink is sold.

This applies to everyone aged 11 and over, unless an exception applies.

Children under 11 do not have to wear face coverings.