HEREFORD came through a tough test to record their first victory of the season.

The Wyesiders saw off Stourbridge Lions 26-25 in Midlands 1 West, to the delight of head coach Sean Lynn.

"It’s always nice to get an away win” he said.

"Much of the credit goes to the front five, they scrummaged very well.

"Luke Yarranton covered every blade of grass, he was outstanding out there.

"The boys played well and showed a lot of character building that momentum.

"We scored some nice tries and it was great to see Bryn Goodall have his first start, he had a good solid game”.

Stourbridge Lions used their pack to good effect in the opening phases and the heavier forwards pushed over for the first try, which was converted.

Hereford fought back well and two penalties from Goodall took them within a point of their opponents.

The Wyesiders then took the lead with a try from home skipper Tom Ewins, which Goodall converted.

Another penalty was then slotted over to give Hereford a 16-7 lead at half time.

The Lions made a good start to the second period and a brace of penalties reduced Hereford's lead to three points.

Nevertheless, Hereford went on to score two more tries.

Goodall claimed the first before Argentinean prop Guido Suez added another on his debut.

The Lions refused to give up and and some good handling resulted in a try that was converted.

But Hereford held on for the win.

Luctonians, meanwhile, came unstuck against Stourbridge in National League 2 North, going down 30-25.

The Kingsland side, who beat Sheffield in their opening game, went behind when Chris Scott kicked over a penalty.

Luctonians' woes deepened when Joe White was shown a yellow card.

Louis Silver levelled the game with a penalty, but Stourbridge hit back with a Nick Mukarati try.

Luctonians prop Dan Powell was then sent to the sin bin and Stourbridge extended their lead with a penalty try.

However, Lucs managed to reduce the deficit before half time thanks to an excellent try from winger George Amphlett; Silver converting.

Another Silver penalty after the break further ate into the hosts' lead, but the home side went on to score another try, this time through Joe Heatley.

Lucs were handed some hope when Stourbridge were reduced to 13 players and they were awarded a penalty try.

Another try by Ben Barkley levelled the scores, but Stourbridge went on to win the game thanks to Dan Rundle's touchdown.

In Midlands 3 West (South), tries from James Mitchell, Bobby Ralph and Toby Rivers were not enough for Bromyard, who lost 33-15 to Upton-on-Severn in their first game following pomotion.

However, there was better news for Ledbury, who recorded a 22-15 win over Rugby St Andrews.

Greyhound were also victors, seeing off Linley 32-12 in Midlands 5 West (North).

The Hereford side dominated throughout, with Elliot Phillips scoring two tries.

Mark Austin, Chris Fisher and Dewi Williams also went over, with Kevin Murphy kicking over four conversions.

Ross-on-Wye also had a fine start to their Gloucester 2 campaign, hammering Cotham Park 58-0.