LEDBURY Town came from behind to net a late winner and beat home team Ross Town 2-1 in the second round of the HFA County Challenge Cup.

With both sides struggling in their respective leagues, a close encounter was expected and that was exactly how it turned out. Ross started brightly and had the ball in the net after six minutes, but their jubilation was short-lived as the referee awarded a foul on the Ledbury keeper.

Asa Smith and Anthony Bradford both wasted good chances for the visitors before the home team took the lead in the 18th minute. Ben Mamoma struck the ball through a crowded penalty area when Ledbury failed to clear a corner to present the chance.

Mark Brookes drilled the ball across goal for Lee Hooper to equalise from close-range minutes before the break and leave all to play for in the second half.

Both sides played cautiously after the interval and extra-time was looming when Bradford showed the home defence a clean pair of heels to strike the winner with just minutes to go.

Colwall produced a battling performance before going down 1-0 at home to Hinton's West Midlands League side, who lost in the final last season.

Defences were on top in a scrappy game played in difficult blustery conditions. Colwall were unlucky not to take the lead after 30 minutes when they had the ball in the net but the referee adjudged the player had handled the ball during a goal-mouth scramble.

The Hinton keeper Scott Russell was injured during the melee and had to be replaced by Dave Spencer, who was himself returning from injury. Minutes later Jody Dawe picked the ball up on the edge of the box and steered a fine strike into the net with his right foot for the deciding goal.

Colwall plugged away in the second half but were unable to force an equaliser.

Wellington's senior side proved too strong, especially in the air in front of goal, for a young Lads Club side, running out 8-1 winners on Widemarsh Common.

The home team were forced to defend from the start but held out for 15 minutes when Tom Herbert followed up to knock in the rebound after Tom McClean's shot was blocked. They were beaten twice more in the first half with both goals falling to Keith Jones.

Wellington were given a wake-up call at the start of the second half when Ben Arnold raced clear to reduce the arrears with a 25-yard drive. They settled down to increase the lead as Eddie Wells' shot took a deflection and made it five when Jones completed his hat trick.

The home team kept trying but, as their legs tired in the closing stages, Dale Withers and Pete Wallace both scored with headers and Dave Price rounded off the scoring when his deflected shot finished up in the back of the net.

Leominster Town gave in-form Sutton United a good game before losing 1-0 to a late goal in a midweek tie at Bridge Street Sports Centre In a fiercely-fought game, both sides created chances, Sutton striking the bar as early as the fourth minute. Play was reaching added-on time when substitute Keith Holmans turned in the winner, with Leominster claiming the ball had gone out of play during the build-up to the goal.

The other midweek game at Kington will have to be replayed next Tuesday as last week's tie against visiting Bromyard Town was called off after an hour due to the fog. The sides were level 2-2 at the time but home manager Martin Powell was unhappy with the decision as the fog disappeared soon after, as he had predicted.

Kington started well and had taken a two-goal lead by the half-hour mark. Player-manager Powell scored both goals with strikes from the edge of the box, first taking the ball from a throw-in and the second after receiving an inviting through-ball from Joe Maygothling.

Bromyard seized on to a weak clearance to reduce the deficit with a stunning shot from 25 yards before the break.

They also made the better start to the second half and the game was delicately poised when a cross-cum-shot bounced over Kington keeper Simon Hamer.