WESTFIELDS had a victory snatched from them on Good Friday when play-off chasing side Highworth Town had a hotly disputed injury-time penalty awarded to enable them to equalise then in the dying seconds the hosts snatched a winner to maintain their promotion push and sending home fans and players wild.

Scott Russell’s side had done well in the opening half on a difficult pitch and a swirling wind.

The visitors had the better of the chances with the home keeper saving brilliantly from Harrison Summers effort and then Ollie Barnes had a shot cleared off the Highworth goal-line.

After the break Westfields broke the deadlock when dangerman Dan Stoneman burst through the Highworth defence and hit a 20-yard shot into the roof of the net to give his side a 1-0 lead.

Highworth immediately hit back and Kerion Blackburn twice fielded long-rang efforts from the home side.

Fields defenders Cameron Davies and Brandon Jennings did well at the heart of the Westfields defence to keep the home side at bay.

It looked odds on Westfields would repeat the previous weeks’ 1-0 home win over Highworth.

However, in the 91st minute George Evans, the Westfields’ full-back was adjudged to have fouled the Highworth winger, and referee awarded a disputed penalty which was tucked away for the equaliser .

Highworth then threw everything forward in a bid to get the three points and keep alive their play-off position.

The hosts were rewarded for their bravery with a last ditch winner when a high ball was pumped into the Westfields defence, Blackburn punched the ball clear onto the head of Luke Whelan who headed home to give Highworth a 2-1 victory over a hard working Westfields side who were on the edge of Hellenic League double only minutes earlier.

Westfields conclude their Hellenic Premier campaign on Thursday night when they take a trip to Longlevens AFC.

Hereford Lads Club were without a match over the Easter weekend after their match at Tuffley Rovers was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Danny Moon’s side have three league away games remaining starting with a trip to Wantage Town on Saturday, Worcester City next Thursday night (April 11) and concluding with a visit to Tuffley Rovers two days later.