HEREFORD RFC returned to winning ways with a 11-8 victory over neighbours Newent.

Newent travelled the 20 miles to Wyeside with the hope of completing a double over Hereford having been victors by a comprehensive score on their own turf.

A pair of second half Iwan Holder second half penalties was all that separated the sides.

A delighted Hereford head coach, Scott Sturdy said “A positive result at home to Newent, in a toughly contested game between two very physical sides, who both defended well.

“We kicked the penalties to get ourselves in front, then in the last three or four minutes we closed the game out really well.

“A really positive result against a team that has sat in the top echelons of the league all season. It breaks up the run of form that we’ve been on, with several narrow losses.

“Now we come to the run in, the HRFC team make the long trip to Stratford next weekend”

Newent were winning a number of early penalties, which they kicked to touch. From one of these, they won good lineout ball, moved the ball wide and found a gap in the Hereford defence to cross for a try in the corner.

The conversion attempt was wide. Hereford increased pressure and a catch and drive from a lineout was driven over for Scott Robinson to touch down to equalise. As the interval approached Newent kicked a penalty to lead by 8-5.

The second half was untidy, many minor injuries and some ill-tempered exchanges extended the game time to almost 100 minutes.

The Hereford pack increased control as the half progressed and forced a number of penalties, two of which Holder slotted to give Hereford the lead for the first time at 11 - 8.

Newent missed with a penalty but did not otherwise make any real challenge to the Hereford lead.

Despite a determined and aggressive run into the Newent 22 by Jake Cheshire and a neat cross-kick from Dean Powell which just eluded the chaser, the Wyesiders were unable to add to their score.

Hereford were good value for their four league points and Newent had to be satisfied with their losing bonus. The Hereford pack laid the foundation for victory, the front 5 worked hard to win control in the set pieces and supported the back row in some effective loose play.

The 1870s entertained league toppers Harbury at Wyeside and came out on the wrong end of a 14-32 defeat. The Hereford development side’s tries were scored by Jurijs Kudrjavcevs and Neil Clarke, while Ollie Bullied converted both. The 1870s entertain Bedworth at Wyeside next week, whilst the HRFC team travel to Stratford upon Avon.