LUCTONIANS maintained their National 2 West lead after a comfortable 5-50 point win at Newport, despite only having 14 players on the pitch for an hour of the game.

A total of seven cards were shown in this game with the first sending Luctonians winger, James Wheeler to the bin in the second minute for an alleged dump tackle.

This did not stop the away team from scoring first when following a maul from a driven lineout Connor Deignan crossed the whitewash in the 10th minute.

Owen Randall failed to add the extra points with the conversion, and it was Newport who registered the next points on 15 minutes when second row Daniel Green finished off some excellent handling to draw level. 

From this point on Luctonians dominated the game and the card yellow card shown to Harry Whiteman on 24 minutes served only to galvanise their momentum.

Two minutes later Wheeler scored in the left corner and this was followed by the totemic Harriot-Davies, who yet again led the Herefordian charge, slicing through the defence untouched on 32 minutes for a Randall conversion.

Luctonians, man of the match, Sam Hayler at No 8, then crashed over on 35 minutes to give Randall an easy conversion and seal the bonus point by half-time.

The positivity levels in the Newport camp would have been boosted momentarily when four minutes into the second half, Whiteman was shown a second yellow which reduced Luctonians to 14 men for the rest of game.

Any positivity gained, however, was short lived as the Salopians found themselves fighting a rear-guard action against a team who were keen to demonstrate to a large crowd, why they are the league leaders.   

Loose head prop, Deignan picked up his second try on 51 minutes with flyhalf Josh Nott weaving through to touchdown minutes later.

Randall converted both of these before adding the extra points to a try of his own on while Newport were down to 14 men after a yellow card was shown to substitute, Chris Taylor.

As if things weren't tough enough already, the home team were reduced to 13 for a short period by another yellow card to left wing Dawson.

By now Luctonians had emptied the bench and were cruising. With six minutes remaining Wheeler scored his second try which Randall converted.

In the dying seconds, the referee dealt his final card for the afternoon when he sent Josh Nott to the bin for a high tackle and Luctonians finished the game with 13 men.

This was a much more energised and dominant Luctonians performance than last week, as they prepare for the challenge that second placed Dings Crusaders will present this coming Saturday at Mortimer Park.  

In 75 years of Luctonians history this Saturday's game is by the far the biggest and most important, as a home win will give them a massive advantage in the title race to be promoted into National 1.