MATT James scored the winner four minutes from time as Hereford Pegasus battled back from a goal down to beat Tuffley Rovers 2-1.

The hosts had the greater share of the first half play without seriously threatening the goal.

Pegasus then went behind on the half hour mark when a Henry Birkett shot was deflected past Matt Gwynne.

Pegasus continued to dominate the game as Rovers were stoic in defence until the 51st minute when the equaliser came.

The hosts were awarded a free kick, taken by Jamie Price, which was deflected by a Tuffley defender into his own net.

Minutes later, the visitors were twice denied by home goalkeeper Matt Gwynne. Karnell Chambers was one-on-one until the gloveman forced him wide. The ball was rolled to Jake Rhodes and his blocked shot fell again to Chambers whose second shot was blocked by Gwynne.

With the clock ticking towards full-time, a Jordan Williamson cross into the penalty area was missed by Cawley Cox. However, James ghosted in to head home the winner.

After the game, Pegasus manager Mark Hibbard said: " I was very pleased with our performance and the result. It was a tough game against a side that has improved immensely over the Christmas period. 

“They are a very good team that their results show as of late. Their management team has done a great job in assembling a good squad that will only get better.

“We can only take one game at a time, but we have seen a massive improvement in our squad over recent weeks, which has seen our fortunes change as well.

“We seem to have that belief back, which comes with winning games. It puts that smile back on players' faces. We have a great bunch of lads with great team spirit.

“We move our attention to our next game in the semi-finals of the County Cup now on Tuesday at home against Ludlow Town.

“It's another game that we want to win and won't overlook Ludlow and will take the game in a professional manner like we do a league game.

“Hopefully, we will get a few watching as every support is welcome.“