LUCTONIANS delighted their supporters as they returned to winning ways following the winter break with a 35-17 victory against Redruth.

Ryan Watkins’ side pleased a gate of 457 with five converted tries despite finishing the game with only 13 men on the park.

There was no score until the 19th minute when Redruth No.10 Dan Rutter slotted a straightforward penalty following a high tackle.

Lucs however were starting to play some entertaining rugby and their first score followed a fluently move before two delicate “kick throughs” from Tom Jones put the Luc’s star man Josh Watkins clear to dart through and touch down to lead 5-0, the immaculate Louis Silver kicking the extras from the tee (7-0).

Redruth went further behind when Caleb Montgomery was driven over after 25 minutes following a driving maul, Silver again adding the extras (14-3).

And the swift dancing feet of Watkins again saw him carve through the Redruth defence very soon afterwards, Silver again converting for the home side to lead at half time 21-3.

The visitors however were good value for their long trip up from Cornwall and started the second half with some purpose.

Lucs conceded penalties which allowed Redruth line-out opportunities in their red zone, and they took full advantage when Harry Hocking was driven over on 46 minutes, Rhys Brownfield converting to bring them back in touch at 21-10.

And Redruth then took full advantage of a loose Jones pass minutes later, which bounced into the arms of the charging Charlie Levick on halfway, to sprint through to dot down under the posts, Brownfield converting to bring them within four points in what was becoming a very tense game.

The home side furthered their advantage when Jones deft kicking to touch put them on the Redruth five-metre line, for another line-out and Seb Robinson was at the bottom of the driving maul, Silver again converting for a 28-17 lead on the hour.

Lucs were then stubborn in defence, even more so as they were unlucky to receive two late yellow cards.

Replacement front row Tom Legge wasn’t on the pitch a minute when he was adjudged to have made a no arms tackle which saw his opponent landing awkwardly, and minutes later captain Joe White was also on the sidelines for not binding correctly in a maul.

Lucs were down to 13 men for the last eight minutes but defended resolutely to the end. And these efforts eventually saw a Redruth loose pass intercepted on halfway by home centre Lewis Parkes who ran away from many tired legs to dot down under the posts at the final whistle, Jones converting to give the home side a 35-17 victory.