HEREFORD RFC head coach Scott Sturdy praised his side for an ‘accomplished performance’ as they scored eight tries during a 29-19 victory against Cheltenham.

Mark Philo and Scott Robinson both scored as they side went into half-time level at 12-12. However, a Levi Hughes second half brace followed by a further Iwan Holder try at the death sealed the victory.

“What a great weekend to be a Wyesider with a win each for the Hereford RFC, 1870s and the Colts,” said Sturdy.

“A good week of training was transferred onto the field and paid dividends for the HRFC team which put in an accomplished performance, after playing quite poorly in last week’s derby game at Worcester.

“They played some beautiful attacking rugby at times and scored some quality tries.”

Hereford took the lead on seven minutes when Dean Powell’s well-judged chip into the Cheltenham dead ball area was followed up by Philo for the opening try.

Holder landed the conversion to give Hereford a seven-point lead. A yellow card reduced Cheltenham to 14 men and Hereford continued to have the better possession and field position.

However, it was Cheltenham who took the lead with two opportunist tries. From a visitors’ tap penalty, the ball ran loose and their lively scrum half picked up and raced through the Hereford defence for an unconverted try.

Despite receiving a second yellow card the strong-running Cheltenham 13, who appeared to be boxed in to the touchline, found a way through and beating defenders, scored their second try.

Hereford continued to press and as time in the first half was running out Ollie Hutcheson won the lineout and the pack drove over the line with Scott Robinson touching down. The try brought the sides equal at half-time (12-12).

The Wyesiders opened the second half with a period of pressure and good handling leading to a brace of tries from Levi Hughes.

Some slick handling gave him ball with a yard of space and he used his pace to outflank the defence and race over in the corner on 64 minutes.

Six minutes later Hughes made ground before breaking a tackle to dive over for the fourth and bonus point try. Holder converted one of the tries.

Cheltenham got themselves back into the game with a converted try reducing the Hereford lead to 24-19.

Hereford sealed the win with 91 minutes on the clock with Holder chipping over the head of the first defender before beating two further men to race over for the try, to confirm a 29-19 win.

Meanwhile, the 1870s beat Worcester 2s, away from home 8-63. Tries were scored by Lewis Turner, Alex Thomson, Lewis Jordan, Ollie Bonelle, Joe Vaughan. Ollie Bullied (2) and Nathan Watkins (2). Jordan Sheehy kicked nine conversions.

Next Saturday the 1870s host Harbury, a fixture originally postponed earlier in the season.