HEREFORD RFC head coach Scott Sturdy praised his side for taking their points when chances arose as they ran out 30-10 winners against Berkswell & Balsall.

Tries from Cal Duncan and Iwan Holder gave the hosts a three-point lead going into half-time before further efforts by Gareth Jones and a second Holder try sealed the bonus-point win.

“A massive thank you to the Cathedral School for allowing us use of their pitch yesterday,” said Sturdy. “Our field at Wyeside was very wet with standing water.

“It is vital for community clubs like ourselves to get our games played, especially when we have big sponsor lunches.

“Clearly the conditions were not great and it was lovely to see the sponsors and so many from the community come out to watch us.

“We played on a wet and heavy pitch which was probably not quite full size. This may have favoured the opposition rather than ourselves, we played against the wind first half, we knew it was going to be tough and we rode out quite a lot of pressure.

“Two great individual moments from Cal Duncan and Iwan Holder who scored tries in the first half, to see us to 10 – 7 at half time. We knew then that with the wind in our favour, we had a good chance to see the game out.

“We took the points when they were on offer and had another two moments of magic from Iwan Holder and Gareth Jones. Their tries got us over the line and secured a try bonus.”

Playing with a strong blustery wind Berkswell & Balsall established a foothold in the Hereford half and drove over the whitewash and touched down for the first converted score.

Hereford responded and following some concerted pressure, moved the ball wide and Duncan drove over for a try in the corner.

As the game moved into injury time at the break, Holder gathered the ball in his own half and raced the length of the field to dive over for the second Hereford try to lead 10-7 at half-time.

Hereford increased their lead with a Bryn Goodall penalty, but this was promptly negated by another penalty, this time for Berkswell & Balsall.

Goodall slotted his second penalty goal and in the final ten minutes, Hereford added two further tries to seal the victory and add a try bonus to their tally.

Jones charged over from a pick and go before Holder picked up a ball on the 22 and ran a flat line outside his co-centre to score under the posts. Goodall improved both tries to take the final score to 30-10.

The 1870s beat Old Yardleians, away from home by 10-7. Ollie Bullied scored all of the 1870s points with a try, a conversion and a penalty goal.