HEREFORD manager Paul Caddis said a win was all that mattered as his side beat Warrington Town 2-1.

The Bulls played against nine men for almost an hour and went ahead through Jason Cowley only to be pegged back at the break by a Sean Williams penalty.

Warrington then held on with the help of goalkeeper Daniel Atherton before substitute Ethan Freemantle secured the points 13 minutes from time.

“Those games are tough, playing against nine men is tough,” said Caddis.

“I thought credit to Warrington who worked extremely hard. We got lots of shots off, their keeper made a lot of saves but we wanted to be a bit more clinical.

“However, it’s three points and I don’t care how it comes to be truthful. It didn’t matter how we got it, as long as we got a win and we did it.”

Warrington almost caught Hereford napping in the opening two minutes when Declan Walker’s cross found Josh Amis unmarked who headed just wide.

Visiting goalkeeper Atherton would play a key role in the match and denied a curling Alex Babos’ free-kick from nestling into the top corner on 21 minutes.

Three minutes later Warrington were reduced to 10 men after Connor Woods sent his arm towards Tom Pugh’s face during an altercation.

On the 26th minute Hereford were ahead after Babos dispossessed the goalkeeper before finding Cowley who rounded the last defender and slotted home.

Making amends for his mistake Atherton made a double save firstly denying Babos’ 28th minute effort and then Cowley moments later.

Not content with his opener Cowley almost struck the goal of the season with an audacious overhead kick which Atherton tipped onto the crossbar.

Warrington’s evening went from bad to worse on 38 minutes when Bohan Dixon was shown a second yellow card for a foul on Aurio Teixeira.

Hereford looked in complete control and Yusifu Ceesay pulled away from his man before rattling the post and Teixeira saw his rebound saved.

Adam Livingstone was also denied by the woodwork when his effort across goal skimmed the top of the crossbar.

However, Warrington were handed a lifeline in the third minute of first half stoppages when Amis ran through on goal before referee Liam Corbett judged he was clipped by Nathan Cameron.

Williams stepped up and sent the goalkeeper the wrong direction to pull level at 1-1 going into half-time.

Hereford threw everything forward trying to get back ahead with Cowley powerfully heading wide before Tom Pugh beat two men before having his effort saved.

Goalkeeper Atherton pulled off more heroics on the hour mark denying a powerful Paul Downing driven effort before also saving Cowley’s rebound with his leg.

Hereford’s winner came 13 minutes from time when Babos’ cross found substitute Freemantle who flicked the ball home.

At the death Warrington almost stole a point as substitute Matthew Griyotsi puts the ball on a plate for Isaac Buckley-Ricketts who prodded wide with the goal at his mercy.

Hereford: Pond, Skinner, Livingstone (Arthur 56), Teixeira, Downing, Ceesay, Babos, Cowley, Pugh (Rooney 75), Tolley (Freemantle 56), Cameron

Unused subs: Southern, Howkins