HEREFORD FC returned to winning ways with a resounding 4-1 win over Banbury United at Edgar Street.

Jason Cowley and Adam Rooney gave the Bulls a two-goal lead before Ken Charles pulled one back for Banbury from the penalty spot, but goals from Ethan Freemantle and Lassana Mendes sealed the win for the home side late on.

Hereford led in the 11th minute when a driving run from Yusifu Ceesay saw the winger find Cowley inside the box who slotted the ball past Jack Harding in the Banbury goal.

The striker nearly doubled his side’s lead in the 22nd minute after Alex Babos’ quick free-kick found the number nine unmarked inside the box, but his flicked header fell just wide.

The Bulls had a two-goal cushion in the 41st minute when Cowley pulled the ball back for Rooney who slotted the ball into the net with a sliding finish from inside the area.

Banbury were given a lifeline at the start of the second half when Charles converted a penalty awarded by Oliver Mackey for Adam Livingstone’s challenge on Craig Hewitt.

Paul Caddis’ side responded well and Freemantle had the chance to add a third on 69 minutes when he was played through on goal but his effort was saved by Harding.

Three minutes later Hereford would extend their lead when Koby Arthur’s shot slipped through the gloves of Harding, allowing Freemantle to nod the ball home on the line.

Former Banbury United player Babos tried his luck from the edge of the area on 80 minutes after a Freemantle and Rooney combination set him up but his effort was saved.

A mix up between Harding and his own defender saw the ball trundle towards goal in the 90+5 minute with the goalkeeper stranded but was cleared off the line.

Mendes grabbed Hereford’s fourth goal of the night after a poor pass from Lee Henderson allowed the midfielder to bundle the ball home six minutes into added time.

Hereford: Pond, Skinner, Livingstone, Teixeira, Downing, Ceesay, Babos, Cowley (Freemantle 65), Rooney (Pugh 88), Arthur (Mendes 84), Cameron

Unused Subs: Tolley, Howkins