A DELIGHTED Hereford boss praised his side after they battled to a 1-0 home victory against Brackley, with Yusifu Ceesay’s fifth minute header separating the sides.

The Bulls’ third league win in four games took them up to 10th in a congested National League North table heading into a busy November calendar.

Manager Paul Caddis praised his side for the performance which came just days after their FA Cup defeat to Gillingham.

“To a man I thought we were brilliant,” said Caddis. “(Curtis) Pond pulled off saves when he had too and the back four defended the box for large parts of the game.

“We weren’t great tonight, but we probably had the better chances without being great in possession.

“The words that we’ve got in our dressing room are hard work, character and desire. That’s what will get us in this position and are the bare minimum.”

Hereford hit a fifth minute winner when Ethan Freemantle was fouled midway inside the Brackley half and a quickly taken free-kick found Ceesay unmarked to head home.

Brackley looked for an immediate reply and Curtis Pond was called into action twice in quick succession.

Firstly, the Bulls’ goalkeeper saved down low as a corner into a mass of bodies was headed towards his goal.

Moments later Danny Newton had his rifled effort which was flying towards the Hereford goal denied by the shot stopper.

Midway through the first half Newton deflected George Carline's shot just wide of the Hereford post.

At the opposite end Ceesay almost doubled his side’s lead on 33 minutes when his free-kick into the front post was Danny Lewis to save.

The Hereford forward pounced on a loose ball early in the second half but saw his low effort under pressure denied by the leg of goalkeeper Lewis.

The Brackley goalkeeper kept his side in the match again moments later denying Lassana Mendes’ drilled effort.

Hereford continued to push for a second goal and substitute Adam Rooney headed a Ceesay cross onto the post.

Moments later Adam Livingstone’s cross found the head of Ollie Southern who sent his effort inches wide.

Pond was called into action one last time in the dying moments as former Hereford midfielder Tommy O'Sullivan's effort took a wicked deflection and the Bulls goalkeeper had to tip the ball over his crossbar.

Hereford gave a full debut to midfielder Tom Pugh who has signed on a one-month loan from Scunthorpe United.

The 23 year-old made 28 appearances last season in the National League and has also featured in League Two.

With Alex Babos out injured and Aurio Teixeria suspended the midfielder was drafted straight in.

“We signed him late on Monday and his work ethic was ridiculous,” added Caddis. “He was different class today.”