HEREFORD boss Paul Caddis felt a second penalty awarded against his side in nine minutes was ‘difficult to take’ as they fell to a 3-1 defeat at Alfreton Town.

Alex Babos had given the Bulls an away lead in a tight game at Alfreton before the hosts replied from the penalty spot on 63 minutes.

However, with the game in the balance referee Alex Sawden pointed to the penalty spot for the second time and Jordan Thewlis dispatched both penalty kicks. Alfreton’s third goal was also controversial as Jake Day looked in an off-side position before sealing the points.

“It (second penalty decision changes the game, I’ve just seen it,” said Caddis.

“I hate coming in and talking about officials, but sometimes you can’t help it. We controlled the game and I thought first half there was only one team in it.

“One thing I’m not going to do is criticise the players, they’ve been different class the last seven or eight weeks. I told them to get their heads up, sometimes in football you don’t get the decisions you deserve and that’s exactly what has happened tonight.

“The first one in fairness is probably a penalty. The second one is difficult to take because it changes the momentum of the game.

“Unfortunate it’s one of those nights where we’ve come up against some decisions, obviously we’re not pleased about, but that’s life.

“I’m going to see the referee. I’ve waited a long time for him, but he’s in with the assessor so hopefully they give him a kick up the back side.”

Fresh from beating Curzon Ashton at the weekend Hereford started brightly and Koby Arthur saw his deflected effort fly wide early on.

The hosts responded on 36 minutes during a close first half when Liam Waldock found the run of Jake Day who sent his effort wide.

Hereford were deserving of their 54th minute lead after Jordan Lyden’s surging run opened up the defence before playing in Babos who scored from a tight angle.

However, Alfreton were level from the penalty spot on 63 minutes when Aurio Teixeira brought down Thewlis who got up and dispatched the penalty.

The hosts were awarded a second penalty kick on 72 minutes when Nathan Cameron was judged to have stepped across Dylan Motley-Henry and Thewlis dispatched the spot kick.

To add insult to injury Day looked off-side before running in on goal and scoring a third goal with three minutes left on the clock.

Hereford: Pond, Skinner, Livingstone, Teixeira (Tolley 78), Lyden (Freemantle 85), Ceesay, Babos, Rooney, Arthur (Stanley 70), Cameron, Howkins

Unused subs: Cranston, Southern