HEREFORD RFC were praised for providing a determined performance as they fought back in the second half to win 17-19 at Stow on the Wold.

In windy weather and a greasy ball Stow registered three unanswered tries, one of which was converted giving them a good half time lead of 17 points.

However, Hereford showed their resilience and for the first 30 minutes of the second period were in charge, running in three tries and improving two of them and held out for victory.

“I know it’s a cliche” said head coach Scott Sturdy. “But it was a game of two halves at Stow on the Wold today.

“In true Herefordian fashion, the Wyesiders got out there in the second half and showed the passion we talked about as a team before the game.

“We showed the ability to take and finish our chances in the second half of the game. A massive shout to our front row players, Lennon Fishlock, Malechi Stuffins, Scotty Robinson and Nathan Boden. The scrum was what got us back into the game, they drew a number of penalties from which two of our tries came directly.

“It was good to get three tries, but we missed the chance to get another try and a bonus point and had to defend doggedly for the last five minutes to get us over the line. We look forward to taking a week off and welcoming Moseley Oak to Wyeside on November 4.”

A handling error with the greasy ball allowed a Stow player to pick up and run in the opening try after just two minutes, the conversion attempt was wide.

Stow had much the better of possession and field position throughout the first half and after 15 minutes doubled their advantage after another Hereford attack broke down before scoring a third to lead 17-0 at half-time.

Five minutes into the second half Hereford won a scrum on the Stow goal-line and the ball was transferred smartly to Joe Vaughan who dived over in the corner, Iwan Holder made the conversion.

Shortly afterwards Jake Cheshire picked up from the base of another scrum in the Stow red zone to crash over for the try, the conversion attempt drifted wide.

The dominant Hereford scrum created the base for a try for Josh Wright, Holder converted to give the Wyesiders a narrow lead at 17 points to 19. With still 20 minutes to go, both sides had further chances, but were unable to capitalise and despite some late Stow pressure the Hereford defence held out to take the win.

The 1870s won a tight game with Stoke Old Boys at Wyeside by 27 points to 20. Try scorers were Nathan Watkins, Jordon Sheehy and Dan Mills (2). Meanwhile, Jordon Sheehy added two conversions and a penalty.