HEREFORD RFC entertained their fans running out 41-29 winners against local rivals Worcester in a game which contained 11 tries.

“I am happy with the win and bonus point” said Hereford coach Alun Richards. “However, the game was very stop-start and we couldn’t get any continuity into our game for long periods.

“We now move on to Cheltenham next week who have had some good wins so far this season and will be another big test for us.”

Playing down the slope the visitors put Hereford under pressure and after seven minutes, with play in the home side’s red zone, the referee awarded Worcester a penalty try and yellow carded Max Cook.

Worcester failed to add to their advantage when a drop goal attempt rebounded from the crossbar.

After 25 minutes a loose kick ahead from Hereford was picked up by a Worcester player, who ran through the defence, hardly being touched and scored under the posts. The conversion was good and the visitors had increased their lead to 14 points.

The Wysiders responded and Lewis Turner crossed in the corner for the first Hereford try before Lewis Jordan touched down at the back of the maul to reduce their deficit further.

Into injury time at the interval Jack Goodwin picked up the ball inside the 22 and raced 70 yards, brushing off tacklers left and right and crashing over for the try. Josh Wright added the extra points to draw level at 17-17.

With the last play of the half Iwan Holder received outflanked the Worcester defence to run in Hereford’s fourth and bonus point try. Wright converted to give the Wyesiders a 24 – 17 lead going in to half time.

Hereford put the visitors under pressure from the start of the second period. A poor clearance kick was run back through the hands to debutant Ollie Bonelle, who scored with an athletic touch down in the corner.

Worcester responded going through the phases worked their way over the line for a try, which was converted with an excellent kick from a difficult angle.

However, it was the home side the race ahead with a brace of tries. Jordan touched down at the back of the maul following a lineout and then Jack Goodwin forced his way over after a break from a lineout. Josh Wright converted Goodwin’s try to give the Wyesiders a 17-point lead.

Worcester refused to lie down and as the clock went into injury time, they worked their way into the Hereford red zone and earned themselves the consolation of a try bonus to finish the game 41-29.

The 1870s claimed another good result winning at Old Leamingtonians 59-24. Try Scorers for the 1870s were Aaron Pointer, Nathan Watkins, Ollie Bullied, Jamie Hodges, Ben Hyde (2) & Josh Bell (3).

Ollie Bullied landed seven conversions. The 1870s now lie at third place in their league just two points away from the leader. Next week they welcome Worcester 2nds to Wyeside.