HEREFORD Pegasus played out a goalless draw with city rivals Hereford Lads Club as they shared a point in their opening league game of the season.

Pegasus, who were missing a host of first team regulars, almost had an unlikely goal within the opening minutes when Nathan Chowns-Higgs had an effort from range which was tipped wide by the goalkeeper.

Lads Club responded with Dan Gayner firing an effort straight at the Pegasus shot stopper.

Visiting goalkeeper Ross Grimshaw was back in action on nine minutes this time tipping wide a well-hit Cawley Cox effort.

Pegasus continued to probe for an opener and Saul Thomas had an effort inside the box saved from a tight angle.

The Lads Club goal was living a charmed life and Cox drilled a cross across the face of goal, but no red shirt was on hand to slot home.

The game didn’t open up again until the 30th minute when Sam Plane saw his header saved before a counter-attack saw Cox have an effort stopped.

Lewis Fletcher was next to test the visitor’s goal but sent his 34th minute free-kick high and wide of the target.

Moments before the break Matt James cut across the pitch before seeing his effort fly just over the crossbar for Lads Club and at the opposite end Fletcher saw a low free-kick saved as the half ended goalless.

Within the opening minute of the second half Lads Club cut open their hosts and James ran through on goal before seeing his low effort saved by goalkeeper James Behan.

In an end-to-end encounter Mason Godsall’s free-kick was met by Saul Thomas’ head who was only denied by the crossbar.

Pegasus were causing problems from set pieces and Mathew James was next to go close sending his free header wide.

With 20 minutes remaining Cox got goal-side of the final defender, but goalkeeper Grimshaw was quickly out and saved with his feet.

Pegasus goalkeeper Grimshaw escaped with a yellow for retaliation moments before denying Billy Rosser as the visitors threw everything forwards in vein as the game ended goalless.

Across the city a second half Daniel Stoneman brace earnt Westfields a share of the points and a 3-3 draw with Cinderford.

Two first half goals put the visitors in command of the tie before Matt McDonald pulled a goal back before the break.

When Cinderford restored their two-goal lead from the penalty spot the points looked to be heading back to Gloucestershire.

However, Stoneman had other ideas scoring twice in quick succession to earn a 3-3 draw.