HEREFORD Pegasus Ladies have applied for promotion after narrowly missing out on the Midwest Counties League title at the end of a successful season.

Pegasus Ladies concluded their campaign after a scheduled fixture with Ludlow Town was cancelled due to the Shropshire visitors being unable to field a team.

The KGD Stadium club lifted the HFA Women's County Cup for a third successive season and finished runners-up in the Midwest Counties League after suffering one defeat in their scheduled 24 fixtures and netting 169 goals in the process.

Having secured the county cup for the past two seasons, with comfortable victories over Bartestree and Westfields, league rivals Ross Juniors proved to be more obdurate opponents and took the holders to a penalty shoot-out.

Pegasus’ captain Emily Morgan, with her first ever goal at Edgar Street, gave the Hereford side the lead.

However, their south Herefordshire opponents turned the match around to take a shock lead early in the second half.

The experienced Amy Bradley was on hand to net an equaliser before Livvy Jenkins proved to be the hero of the shoot-out with a crucial save to see Pegasus prevail 5-3 from the spot.

Having finished runners-up in the Midwest Counties League for the previous two seasons, Clive Powis' charges were looking to go one step better this time, in their effort to secure promotion to the West Midlands Regional Women's League.

Having recorded an 8-1 home win over Inkberrow Eagles in their opening fixture, Pegasus suffered a setback when they were beaten on home turf by newcomers Redditch Borough 6-3 in their next outing, but that would prove to be the Reds only league reverse of the campaign as they went unbeaten for the remainder of the season.

The only points dropped were at home to Cradley Town and Malvern Town, as the squad was strengthened by a number of mid-season signings, including Ella Bowen, Kaye Haggett and Scarlett Teague.

Pegasus needed to defeat title rivals Redditch Borough on their own ground earlier this month, if they were to stand any chance of being crowned champions.

However, they had to settle for a share of the spoils in a 1-1 on a hard and bobbly surface.

The KGD Stadium club are now waiting to hear whether their application to gain promotion will be successful.