HEREFORD RFC withstood a late fightback by local rivals Malvern to run away with 22-27 away victory.

A Mark Philo brace of tries helped the Wyesiders to an important victory while Lewis Jordan and Iwan Holder also crossed the whitewash as Hereford triumphed.

It was an excellent performance from our players, before the game we talked about leaving it all on the pitch and everyone needing to put in 110%, and that’s what we got,” said Hereford head coach Scott Sturdy.

“It was a quick, fast, free flowing game and we started really well. We scored three really good tries, showing good composure and good ball handling skills. We got ourselves into a dominant position after thirty minutes at 19-0 up. Malvern came back into the game to their credit and really picked the pace of the game up with their attack.

“We ended up then in the second half in a really close affair, where our discipline was probably not where it should have been. All credit to our lads, they hung in right to the end to get a great away result for us.”

Hereford started strongly and took the lead within ten minutes when Tom Williams won the lineout and the driving maul crossed the line for Jordan to touch down for the try.

Philo continued the visitor’s momentum charging down a Malvern clearance kick and followed up to make the touchdown.

The outside centre registered his second try after a Hereford catch and drive was halted, Connor Sullivan fed Philo, who charged through for the try.

Dean Powell improved both of Philo’s tries to increase the Hereford lead to 19-0.

Malvern began to ease themselves back into the game forcing their way over for their first try.

Early in the second half Hereford added to their lead when Powell landed a penalty.

Malvern replied with a catch and drive try to reduce their deficit and then Hereford responded with their fourth and bonus-point try.

A tap penalty over on the left was moved smartly across the line to Iwan Holder, who sidestepped a defender to dive over for the try.

Malvern added two further tries with the help of a succession of penalties. One was converted, reducing the Wyesider’s lead to five points with just over ten minutes to go.

The hosts put in extra effort to go for the win, but were held out by some good Hereford defending.

The 1870s won a top of the table clash at Stourport and came away with a 31-15 win.

Try scorers were Jordon Sheehy, Fletcher Smith, Ash Barsby, Freddie Spencer and Neil Clarke, while Ben Wood made three conversions.

The 1870s win, coupled with Worcester seconds loss gives the Hereford side a clear lead of 10 points in their league. However, Worcester have two games in hand.