HEREFORD RFC started 2023 in fine style with a bonus point 24-6 win over Droitwich thanks to a second half display which included three tries without reply.

Head coach Scott Sturdy was delighted with the way his side battled against tough conditions to take maximum points.

He said: “Against Droitwich at home in really challenging conditions, with a heavy pitch, rain and a strong wind, we probably didn’t manage the game as well as we could have in the first half.

“At half-time we had a chat, changed and modified the game plan a little and then put in a really good second half performance.

“Overall, we scored four tries, earning the bonus point and to be honest, we probably left quite a few scores out there.”

Playing up the slope, Hereford started with ball in hand, but with a greasy ball, handling was difficult and many promising movements were frustrated by a dropped pass or a knock on.

After 20 minutes some well controlled forward play saw Lewis Jordan touch down for the first Hereford try.

During a 10 minute period shortly before the interval, the Wyesiders conceded three kickable penalties. Two were converted enabling the visitors to go in at half-time holding a 5-6 lead.

In the second half Hereford adjusted their game considering the weather conditions, kicking to the corners and making ground through their forwards.

Within five minutes of the restart Jamie Humphreys drove over for the try. Josh Wright converted to go into a six-point lead.

Hereford controlled the next 20 minutes and Jack Goodwin raced over for the third try, to which Connor Sullivan added the extra points.

It seemed that the Wyesiders would be denied a bonus point until deep into injury time when a driving maul crossed the goal line and Jamie Hodges touched down for the fourth and bonus point try and a 24-6 win.

The 1870s had a tough game at Evesham, winning by 14-8. The visitors scored all their points in the first half through tries from Rhys Roberts and Cal Duncan, both improved by Jordon Sheehy.