HEREFORD RFC head coach Scott Sturdy was happy to get the ‘monkey’ off his side’s back after taking a first away win of the season 33-24 away at Wolverhampton.

The Wyesiders looked in control at Wolverhampton leading 19-5 until a red card for Tom Ewins changed the nature of the game and Sturdy praised his side for digging in and taking victory.

“We have had a difficult twelve months, when we haven’t been good away from home,” said Sturdy.

“We’ve been talking a lot about the future and what it means to us and to be fair to the lads they put in a sterling performance today.

“We were scintillating over the first 30 minutes making numerous line breaks, scoring three tries and looking a really good team.

“Unfortunately, we then had a red card which changed the complexion of the game. This was followed by three yellows in the second half. 

“The most pleasing thing from a coach’s point of view is when the chips are down and you see the players step up, with every man working harder, showing guts and passion.

“This we showed in abundance today, it’s definitely a monkey off our backs and a massive step forward for the players.

“We have a template now to build on for the rest of the season. If we continue to play and perform in the way we did today we shall finish the season where we planned to be.”

Hereford’s away woes looked to continue early in the game conceding a try after five minutes as Wolverhampton got a foothold in the game.

The Wyesiders responded immediately and levelled the score with a signature catch and drive try with Ben Greenhouse dotting down.

Hereford took the lead when a tap penalty was driven to the goal-line and Scott Robinson went over for the try.

Three minutes later a move involving Lewis Jordan and Jack Goodwin put Matt Milsom in for the third visitors’ try.

The game became harder for Hereford when a particularly strong run by Ewins ended in an incident, after which a red card was shown to the visiting player.

Hereford’s defence was put under severe pressure and Tom Williams was shown a yellow card.

From the following penalty a well-judged cross kick was gathered and touched down by Wolverhampton, the conversion attempt was wide.

Wolverhampton continued to press and a passing movement across the field eventually created a gap for their third try.

Hereford centre Mark Philo was shown yellow and shortly afterwards Milsom followed him to the bin.

Hereford opted to take a scrum awarded to them close to the line and Tom Williams drove over for a vital fifth try, Josh Wright converted.

Wolverhampton came back and put Hereford under pressure again and crossed for their bonus point try taking the final score to 33-24.