HEREFORD RFC head coach Scott Sturdy wants to see improved discipline from his side after his side suffered a 31-5 defeat at Walsall.

The Wyesiders conceded 14 penalties and three yellow cards during a first half in which Walsall amassed 21 points without reply. Despite an improved second half display Hereford were comfortably beaten.

“It was a disappointing start to the season mainly down to the result and the level of performance,” said Sturdy.

“We didn’t help ourselves in the first half, it’s difficult to be competitive in any match with that many penalties and yellow cards against you.

“On many occasions I thought they might be a little harsh, but we have to play to the referee. In terms of overall performance, the second half was much improved. We showed glimmers of what’s to come in terms of the way we want to attack and the defence was reasonably solid.

“We need to take these positives back to Wyeside next week, when we welcome Whitchurch for our first home game of the season.

“This was not our worst performance away from home in the past couple of years. We are showing some improvement, but discipline needs to be improved if we are to give ourselves a chance on the road as the season progresses.”

During the first 10 minutes each side tested the other and Walsall were awarded a number of penalties.

The hosts opted to take a scrum after a penalty close to the Hereford line and their heavier forwards set up the first try, an excellent kick added the extra points.

Hereford were penalised several times at the scrum and Nathan Boden was the first Hereford player to be shown a yellow card.

A lapse of concentration in the Hereford defence allowed Walsall to score a second try in the corner.

Collapsed scrums on the Hereford goal-line led to the referee awarding a penalty try and showing a contentious yellow card to Hereford skipper Connor Sullivan.

Before the interval Hereford were shown a third yellow card when Leon Parsons was given time in the bin.

With the half-time score at 21-0 Hereford came out and produced some spirited attacking play which tested the Walsall defence.

Ten minutes into the second half Walsall landed a penalty to take their lead to 24 points.

A useful Hereford passing movement broke down, the ball was picked up and the Walsall player ran through a couple of tackles before off loading to a team mate who raced through under the posts for the fourth try which sealed the bonus point.

The Wyesiders responded winning a penalty, kicked to touch and this time the catch and drive worked to conclusion and Lewis Jordan was able to touch down for a try, taking the final score to 31-5.

Hereford’s other 1870s celebrated their first game in the RFU league system with a 31-11 win over Worcester 2nds.

Next week Hereford entertain Whitchurch and the 1870 travel to Five Ways Old Edwardians.