AN EQUALISER seven minutes from time denied Hereford an opening day win as they were held 3-3 by Spennymoor Town.

The Bulls came back from 2-1 down to lead thanks to two Tyrone Barnett penalty only for the visitors to earn a late point through Mark Anderson.

It was no less than the visitors deserved in a pulsating game, although Barnett felt he deserved a third penalty before the late equaliser was scored.

Middlesborough loanee goalkeeper Max Metcalfe was lucky to escape punishment for the hosts on six minutes as Luke Haines sent a perfect ball for Jared Hodgkiss.

Goalkeeper Metcalfe came running out of his box and handled it away, but referee Liam Corbett waved away the handball appeals.

Hereford started brightly and Lloyd came within an inch of the opening goal. Harry Pinchard's free-kick picked out Lloyd whose header sailed an inch over the crossbar with the goalkeeper left watching.

Tyrone Barnett almost has his league debut goal on 11 minutes as his header from a Pinchard free-kick was cleared off the line.

Two minutes later Hereford were ahead as Ryan McLean got to the byline before pulling it back for Miles Storey whose scuffed shot fell to Lloyd to finish.

Hereford had been given a warning by the visitors who on the 23rd minute did level. The Bulls were caught napping and Jordan Tuewlis lifted the ball over a diving Brad Wade.

Spennymoor were now on top and Scott Duxberry saw his powerful effort from outside the box fly just over.

On the 34th minute the visitors were ahead when a quick break from Robert found Tuewlis who fired home high into the roof of the net to make it 2-1.

At the other end goalkeeper Metcalfe made a fine one-handed save to deny McLean.

But then a minute before half-time debutant Kane Thompson-Sommers flicked which hit a hand resulting in a penalty.

Hereford marksman Barnett tucked his penalty low into the net to make it 2-2 at half-time.

Just three minutes into the second half Hereford were awarded a second penalty after Storey was through inside the box before being hacked down by goalkeeper Metcalfe.

Once again Barnett kept calm sending the goalkeeper in the wrong direction to make it 3-2.

On the hour mark Spennymoor should have been level with Jude Oyibo skying his effort when unmarked at the back post.

Bulls goalkeeper Brad Wade was called into action 10 minutes later getting a hand to Tuewlis’ effort allowing Zac Lilly to clear.

Barnett should have had a third penalty 12 minutes from time after being dragged down inside the box.

Moments later Wade made a second crucial save to deny Charles Watt who had jinked into the box.

However, the Bulls goalkeeper could not stop Anderson’s low shot through a crowded box which earned the visitors a point.

Hereford: Wade, Hodgkiss, Evans, Haines, Lilly, Thompson-Sommers, McLean (Osidenko 75), Lloyd, Pinchard (Hanson 75), Storey, Barnett

Subs: Pendley, Klukowski, Latty-Fairweather