HEREFORD Pegasus will be playing in the Hellenic Premier Division next season after upsetting hosts Worcester Raiders and running out 3-0 winners in their Division One play-off semi-final,

The Old School Lane side have joined Hereford Lads Club and Westfields in step five of the non-league pyramid.

Pegasus travelled to the Sixways Stadium in Worcester as underdogs in the uhlsport Hellenic League with their hosts finishing second in the league with Peggy in fourth.

However, after beating Clanfield 4-0 in the semi-final Peggy came into the game full of confidence.

The prize for the winning team would not be a trophy nor medals but something more important, promotion to the Premier Division.

Joint manager Dave Cadwallader and Mark Hibbard could not have asked for a better performance with their side scoring three goals without reply sealing promotion.

A goal inside a minute ensured that Pegasus were on the front foot.

Carlos Moreira was fouled but Jamie Price played the ball into the penalty area were it was bundled in by Richard Greaves as goalkeeper Ewan Mountjoy watched the ball trickled over the line.

This was described by one of the club officials as “the worst goal we have scored” out of their 89 league goals this season.

However, the goal forced Raiders to take the game to Pegasus, which they did without putting the visitors under any serious pressure.

Midway through the half Pegasus increased their advantage from a set piece which was cleared by the Raiders defence back to Moreira, he passed the ball to Jordan Williamson, who crossed into the six yard line where full-back Matt James ghosted in to head home past Mountjoy.

For the visitors it was now all about game management.

Raiders huffed and puffed but, were never a threat as Pegasus went into the half-time break 2-0 up.

On resumption the hosts made changes replacing two midfielders with more attack minded players, but this made little difference against a well organised Pegasus.

The second period of 45 minutes seemed to last forever for the large Pegasus following.

The visitors contained their high scoring hosts to long range efforts none of which were of concern to goalkeeper Matt Gwynne.

Raiders hardly laid a glove on the the keeper who was on hand to deal with two testing crosses and a shot straight at him.

Pegasus were quicker to the ball, forcing their opponents to make numerous errors.

The attendance close to 1,200 spectators contained several hundred rooting for Pegasus.

They encouraged the visitors and helped get their young side over the line.

With two minutes of normal time remaining, victory was confirmed as Greaves headed home a deflected Saul Thomas cross at the near post.

The joyous celebrations extended the period of added time but, it mattered not, the game was won.