PREPARATION was key as Westfields took a step towards the Hellenic Premier League title with a 2-0 victory at promotion rivals Fairford Town.

With 12 league games remaining Fields extended the gap to 19 points on third place Fairford, while second place Binfield are 13 points behind with four games in hand.

Matt Reeve fired home a 17th minute opener at Fairford before Billy Murphy's free-kick on the stroke of half-time secured the points.

"It was a really positive result and the lads from start to finish were outstanding," said Glover.

"We trained really good in the week and prepared really well. We did our homework on them and everything about the week went well.

"We were at it, to organise and prepare the way we did meant we knew we were capable of delivering that on Saturday.

"We had 20 lads in training on Thursday night and worked on our shape and our gameplan.

"In and out of possession we were well drilled and organised."

Westfields' task was made harder in the sixth minute when experienced defender Ryan Green was taken off with a muscle injury in his thigh.

His replacement Paul Hurrell 'didn't put a foot wrong', according to manager Glover.

Fields took a 17th minute lead when Reeve burst into the penalty area and fired low into the bottom corner of the net.

Fairford came back into the game and Stephen Sarkodi produced a fine finger-tip save to keep out a close-range effort.

His save was rewarded a minute before the break when Murphy's floated in free-kick caught the home keeper off his line and sailed into the top corner.

After the break Westfields almost increased their lead when lively striker King Baidoo hit the Fairford upright.

At the other end Sarkodi produced a fine finger-tip save to deny Fairford a goal in the dying minutes.

"They had a couple of chances as did we but to get that second goal right on half-time was crucial," added Glover.

"It was slightly fortunate as Billy Murphy's free-kick has gone over the goalkeeper, but it was a good time to score.

"Into the second half they went down to 10 men which was the right decision and they could have lost another man straight after.

"Full credit to them (Fairford) they kept putting us under pressure and the lads have done well to limit them to a few chances."

Fields are next in league action on Saturday when they travel to basement side Holmer Green.