DESPITE midfielder Tom Owen-Evans netting a brace Hereford squandered a two goal lead and were held to a 2-2 draw at Darlington.

The 21-year-old, who is a product of the Newport County Academy, scored a 15th minute opener with a long range effort which squirmed past the goalkeeper before tapping home from close range five minutes into the second half.

However, after a misplaced Mike McGrath pass allowed David Syers to pull a goal back on the 53rd minute and as the hosts threw everything at an equaliser Jordan Nicholson eventually fired into the bottom corner with just six minutes remaining.

Hereford could have left without anything had substitute Simon Ainge simply headed down while unmarked inside the box with two minutes remaining, but instead put his effort wide.

“It was disappointing not to get the three points in the end after going 2-0 up but personally to open my account for Hereford and to get the two goals," said Owen-Evans who joined from Falkirk last month.

“I have been here four or five games now so hopefully I’m settled and I can kick on from here.

"Until I came to Hereford I hadn’t played a competitive game since August so it was always going to take a few games to find my feet and then that match sharpness is back as well after that so hopefully I’m back to where I can be now and I can kick on from here.

“There have been a lot of players brought in so it was always going to take time to gel but everyone has given their all and everybody is together in the dressing room. Today there is a lot of positives to take from it so we now need to kick on and go from here.”

Mike Symons returned to the Hereford line-up following the injury which has put him out of action since pre-season and made an immediate impact almost flicking home Billy Murphy’s shot in the first half when Hereford were 1-0 ahead.

Owen-Evans did score Hereford’s second goal after sliding home after Kyle Finn worked his way in from the byline.

When talking about the goal, Owen-Evans said: “I just found myself free and I’ve made up the ground and Kyle (Finn) has got to the byline and unselfishly cut it back to me so it was a tap-in for me in the end.

“I like playing in a number 10 role and today Mike McGrath and Billy Murphy were almost behind me so I had a bit of security and a licence to get forwards.

“I’ve got forward and got two goals.”

Hereford: Yates, Thomas, Greenslade, McGrath, Cullinane-Liburd, Smith (c), Murphy (O'Sullivan 59), Owen-Evans, Roberts, Lloyd (32), Symons.

Subs: Green, Richards, Horsell