PETE Beadle felt his side weren’t ruthless enough as they saw their gap at the top of the Evo-Stik Southern Premier cut to seven points following a 2-0 defeat at the hands of King’s Lynn Town.

Hereford, who went into the tie on the back of seven wins, hit the bar through Keyon Reffell’s header and had a host of other chances.

However, the Linnets put on a professional display holding their hosts before going ahead through Liam Fryatt’s 58th minute header.

Just five minutes later Toby Hilliard secured the victory breaking through the defensive line before firing low home.

“I still felt we did enough to get something out of the game and I think we had the better chances, especially in the first half,” said Hereford manager Pete Beadle.

“We weren’t really poor, we just came up against a side that had a little bit more luck than we did and took their chances, whereas we didn’t.

“But the most disappointing thing was that we fell asleep from a set piece and the lad gets a free header.

“The first goal was always going to be important and the story of the day was that we weren’t quite ruthless enough in the final third.

“The second goal was a real sucker punch for us and we couldn’t seem to get going. They have come and done a job and got the result they wanted and we need to bounce back on Tuesday.

“There is never an easy game and today was a big game, but for whatever reason whether a little bit of lack of ruthlessness we have been asking for wasn’t quite there today.”

Five Hereford players were booked and Beadle admitted it was a very ‘stop-start’ game.

“He was very picky with his yellow cards and it interrupted the game a little bit and stopped it flowing.

“But I don’t think it would have changed the result.”

King’s Lynn manager Ian Culverhouse was delighted with the performance but said that the Bulls would still win the league.

He added: “I thought the boys were tremendous.

“Hereford are a good side who will no doubt go on and win the league, but we’re just trying to finish as high as we can.

“They still have a game in hand on us, but it showed that we can compete and had nothing to fear.

“At the end of the day, the league won’t lie and if Hereford are top, then credit to them.”

King’s Lynn were resolute in defence in the second half as Hereford tried to get back into the game.

 “We had a little bit of luck with them hitting the crossbar a couple of times, but you’ve got to have your luck and we scored at the right times.”