Hereford returned home with a hard-earned point as substitute Gavin Williams struck an equaliser in first-half injury time on Tuesday.

It was YTS player Williams' first Vauxhall Conference goal and extended United's unbeaten run into double figures. Although the Bulls were depleted and performed below par, they can be pleased with a point against a Dover side which recorded victories at Edgar Street in both the Conference and the FA Trophy earlier in the season. But on this occasion Dover's makeshift side seemed to have one eye on their forthcoming FA Trophy second-leg match with Cheltenham Town.

Dover made a great start when they took the lead with a goal inside the first five minutes. Although midfielder Gerry Dobbs' initial charge into the box was repelled, the ball broke kindly for on-loan striker Carl Alford who turned and scored from the edge of the box with a shot that stayed low.

Dover continued to have the better of the early exchanges, but Hereford kept their shape and stuck to their task, enjoying a purple patch for the quarter of an hour before the interval. Richard Leadbeater might have equalised when he broke clear of the off-side trap, but his tame shot was comfortably saved by keeper Martin Davies.After Leadbeater lobbed an even better chance well wide, United equalised in the 43rd minute when Ian Rodgerson's cross from the right was met by Williams, who drove a first time shot past a seemingly unsighted Davies from 12 yards.

Dover got back on top in the second period and were largely denied by Andy Quy and wayward finishing.

They came closest to claiming the three points midway through the half when centre-back Lee Shearer rose to meet Dobbs' corner from the left and, though his towering header looked a certain goal, he was denied when Murray Fishlock somehow headed off the line.

Hereford: Quy, Rodgerson, Fishlock, Pitman, Brough, Matthewson, Hargreaves (sub Durham 35 mins), Warner, Cook (sub Williams 14 mins), Leadbeater, Mahon. Sub: Parry.

Attendance: 746.