Hereford United stretched their run of matches in the Vauxhall Conference without conceding a goal to four when they collected a point from Tuesday's trip to windswept Haig Avenue.

It was the second time the clubs have drawn this season, their first meeting at Edgar Street in October ending 1-1.

The Bulls are unbeaten in their last five Conference outings, but director of football Graham Turner was a little disappointed that they did not pick up all three points at Southport.

He said: ''If we had played as well as we have in our recent home matches we would have won. We had the best of the first half and should have exploited our superiority, but Southport came back well in the second period. It was pleasing to keep another clean sheet.''

With Neil Grayson having been transferred to Cheltenham Town, and other players missing through injury and suspension, every available United professional was on parade.

John Brough returned after injury to join Trevor Matthewson in the heart of the defence, while Rob Warner and Richard Walker took over the full-back roles from the injured Ian Rodgerson and Murray Fishlock.

In the first period United penned Southport in their own half. For the most part Hereford were restricted to long-range efforts, with Gavin Mahon, Chris Hargreaves and Brough testing Southport's debut-making keeper John Bagnall.

Hereford's best chance fell to Tony Agana in the 35th minute. He nipped inside Southport player-manager Paul Futcher but his fierce drive was turned over tbe bar by Bagnall.

Bulls' keeper Andy Quy's handling and positioning were superb and on the hour he made an excellent double save from substitute Steve Morris.

In the 78th minute Brian Butler got behind United's defence for the only time and gave Morris possession but Quy bravely dived at the striker's feet. Quy then had to receive lengthy treatment before continuing.

Hereford United: Quy, Warner, Brough, Matthewson, Walker, Pitman (Mansell 69 mon), Cook (Williams 80 min), Mahon, Hargreaves, Leadbeater, Agana. Substitute not used: Durham.

Attendance: 662.