OVER 2,500 spectators filed through the Edgar Street turnstiles over the weekend to watch a feast of football at the HGTA Herefordshire Junior Football League finals.

In addition to presentations to the participating teams and the league champions and runners-up, the league awarded the Club of the Year Vianen Trophy to Ross United Services as the club who had contributed the most both on and off the field to junior football.

Merit awards were also presented to Nick Orchard for the Senior Referee of the Year and Nathan Bunn for the Junior Referee.

Secretary Dave Higgins thanked all spectators for their support over the weekend and members of the management committee who had dedicated so much of their time over the weekend.

He also expressed the league's appreciation to Hereford United for allowing the league the use of their facilities to make the occasion so memorable for so many youngsters and their families.


Ledbury Swifts 2 (Morgan 2) Wellington 2 (Pavey T, Lemar) Ledbury Swifts won 5-4 on penalties

Although behind on two occasions, Wellington never gave up in this, the closest of Saturday's finals.

Morgan gave Ledbury the lead with a fine headed goal from a left-wing cross from Lee who was a constant threat to Wellington throughout the first half.

Within three minutes of the start of the second half Tom Pavey equalised when he chested the ball past the keeper. After 51 minutes Morgan again restored Swifts' advantage when he chased a through ball to beat the keeper with a strong shot.

Only four minutes remained when Lemar's equaliser sent the game into a penalty shoot-out which Ledbury won.


Lads Club 8 (Harding 3, Day 2, 1 pen, McCoy 2, Symonds) Orleton 0

Undefeated league champions Lads Club found themselves three goals to the good after only nine minutes with an opening goal from Harding after two minutes and two further goals from Day.

Orleton struggled to hold their opponents and further goals from McCoy and a second from Harding put the game beyond their reach at half-time.

They never gave up but Lads Club's dominance was confirmed when Harding completed his hat-trick, McCoy claimed his second and Symonds also got himself on the scoresheet.


Presteigne 3 (Prince 2, Davies) Bromyard Town 0

Prince the Presteigne midfielder was a strong influence in this game.

His headed goal from a right-wing corner gave Presteigne the deserved half-time advantage.

Although Bromyard came more into the play in the second half, they could not break down the Presteigne defence and an almost identical goal, again by Prince, this time from a left-wing corner sealed their fate.

Sloppy defending allowed Davies space on the edge of the six-yard box to volley under the diving keeper to confirm a deserved victory.


Lads Club Rovers 0 FC Phoenix 2 (Brezine)

This was always going to be a close game between the two top teams but two goals from Brezine after 13 and 60 minutes gave Phoenix a deserved league and cup double.

The heat probably had more effect on the smaller Lads Club team and although they made the occasional chance in front of goal they could not overcome a stronger and better organised FC Phoenix.


Leominster Minors 0 Ross United Services 4 (Parry 3, Wild)

This scoreline was flattering to league champions Ross United Services but a Parry hat-trick within the first 21 minutes sealed the fate of Leominster Minors.

Man-of-the-match Parry also provided the cross which allowed Wild to add the fourth with a simple tap-in. Leominster Minors had their fair share of the play but when they gained territorial advantage they could not convert their play into goals.


Hereford Junior Dynamos 1 (Rivers) Ross United Services 1 (og)

Hereford Junior Dynamos won 4-3 on penalties

Ross United Services started as favourites but Hereford United Dynamos had other ideas when they took the lead after 19 minutes through Rivers whose persistence against a hesitant defence gave him the chance to open the scoring.

An own goal by the same player six minutes later levelled the score and, with no further goals, the game went into a period of penalties which Dynamos emerged as winners, having converted four of their first five penalties against Ross's three.


Hereford Junior Dynamos 2 (Bowkett, Seymore) Bartestree 2 (Andrews, Dixon) Bartestree won 7-6 on on penalties

There was little to choose between these two teams with the game being spoilt by constant stoppages through injuries.

Andrews persistence paid off when in the 10th minutes he chased a long ball into his opponents' box for an attempted clearance by the keeper to ricochet of his chest into the net. Prolific goal-scorer Bowkett put Dynamos level after 27 minutes when he converted a left-wing cross by Watson.

Seymore put champions Dynamos into the lead when he took advantage of sloppy defensive work. A controversial 20-yard free-kick with minutes remaining by Dixon took the game into kicks from the penalty mark.

After five penalties the score remained equal with both sides converting three. Bartestree, however, kept their nerve in the sudden-death shoot-out to win 7-6.


Hinton 6 (Preece 2, Cartwright, Wildig 3) Kington Town 1 (Brazier)

The ease with which Hinton overcame previously undefeated Kington Town was the surprise of the weekend.

Hinton demonstrated their intentions as early as the 10th minute when excellent approach play allowed Preece to open the scoring with brilliant individual skill.

Just four minutes later Cartwright enhanced Hinton's chances by adding a second. Kington, with their proud record, were unaccustomed to being behind but could not recover and when a hopeful cross by Wildig found the far corner of the net just after half-time their worst fears were confirmed.

Further goals from Preece and Wildig put the game beyond Kington's reach before Brazier scored their deserved consolation goal with a solo effort.