A MAN killed himself by lighting two disposable barbecues in the sealed bathroom of his caravan, an inquest heard.

The county’s coroner’s court heard that Michael O’Toole left a note for his partner, who he had a volatile relationship with, which read: “Sorry it had to be here, couldn’t find anywhere else. I love you”.

Coroner Geraint Williams said Mr O’Toole, who suffered with anxiety problems but had not taken his medication for a considerable amount of time, and his partner had argued to the point that both used violence against each other on Sunday, May 18, which caused them to split up.

Families at the hearing said the couple had a very jealous relationship and some believed that caused 51-year-old Mr O’Toole great concern.

However, Mr Williams said the couple kept in contact and arranged to meet on Friday, May 30, but when she arrived at the caravan at Wyre Forest Holiday Village, Far Forest, near Bewdley, about 8.45am she found a smashed up glass picnic table and two empty disposable barbecue boxes outside.

In a statement read out by Mr Williams she said she went inside, discovered the note, before she gained access to the bathroom and found Mr O’Toole, who had been filling out job application forms days before, slumped against a radiator and the barbecues in the sink.

“I touched his arm and said ‘oh my God babes, what have you done?’”

The emergency services were called and he was confirmed dead at the scene.

Mr Williams said a post mortem report showed Mr O’Toole, who went to the pub with his son the night before his death, had 66mg in 100ml blood. The legal drink-drive limit is 80mg.

The report also revealed a 60 per cent reading of carbon dioxide in his body. Mr Williams said blood saturation usually happens between 50 and 60 per cent.

Mr Williams said the cause of death was carbon monoxide poisoning and recorded a verdict of suicide.