A MOBILE phone battery caused a house fire in Hereford.

Three fire engines from the city were called to Dunoon Mead, Belmont, shortly after 12.20am this morning (Thursday).

A fire service spokesperson said: "The fire, which was out on the arrival of the fire service, was caused by the spontaneous combustion of a mobile phone battery."


Advice to prevent battery fires

Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service have listed the below advice to prevent batteries catching fire...

  • Buy from a reputable retailer – if the price is too good to be true, it probably is
  • Refer to the manufacturer’s guidance on charging and storing
  • Always charge during the day when you are at home
  • Always unplug after use
  • Register electrical items at https://www.registermyappliance.org.uk/
  • Avoid storing, using or charging batteries at very high or low temperatures
  • Protect batteries against being damaged – that’s crushed, punctured or immersed in water
  • Do not overcharge your product – once your item is fully charged disconnect it and turn the charger off
  • Don’t overload plug sockets