LEDBURY Market House has been at the heart of life in the town for hundreds of years.

Hereford Times: Market House 1905

Work started on the Market House in 1617 and the available records suggest that it was to be a two storey building, raised on sixteen pillars and having a timber frame with a brick infill, with a number of small shops constructed below, in between the stilts.

Hereford Times: Market House under repair 1860

Market buildings like this were common, but the upper rooms were more often used for the transaction of business or as a town hall.

Hereford Times: India and China Tea Co 1911

Popular local belief is that it was designed by architect John Abel, Carpenter to King Charles 1.

Hereford Times: Charles Stephens Cross Council elections at the Market House

These wonderful images are all taken with permission from the Facebook group Herefordshire Remembered.

If you have any old photographs of Ledbury or Herefordshire please email them to bridie.adams@newsquest.co.uk and matthew.holmes@newsquest.co.uk.