The fire and rescue service has urged residents to remain safe when warming their homes this winter amid the cost of living crisis.

Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS) is calling on residents to adopt simple steps to avoid accidental fires and potentially fatal carbon monoxide poisoning as they try to keep warm through winter months.

HWFRS stresses the importance of conducting an online home fire safety check ( for each household.

By answering a few questions, residents can access fire safety advice specific to their needs, receiving tips to keep households protected from fires.

Louise Schiffmann, prevention team leader at HWFRS, said: "It’s vital that as we all cope safely with the rise in the cost of living - we shouldn’t put ourselves or our loved ones at risk.

"Over the coming months, we will be working to support our community, help keep people safe and reduce the risk of a devastating accidental fire."

HWFRS provided several crucial fire safety tips to keep in mind, including:

Ensuring the functional status of smoke alarms regularly and installing a carbon monoxide alarm when using non-electrical heating appliances are top tips.

If a room is utilised for both living and sleeping, the sound of the alarms should be clearly audible, considering the potential of fire or hazardous carbon monoxide levels during sleep.

Candles and cigarettes should be used carefully within homes.


Another recommendation given is the careful use of candles and cigarettes within homes along with consideration of charger and battery purchases from trustworthy sources.

The safety risks of charging e-bike or e-scooter batteries indoors have also been outlined.

Residents are urged to use the correct fuel for wood-burning stoves and open fires, maintain their heating appliances and ensure safety by conducting an annual gas safety check.

Ms Schiffmann added: "There is plenty of fire safety advice at and at, and you can contact our Prevention Team on 0800 032 1155 to see if you might qualify for a free Home Fire Safety visit."

For further assistance, the government has helpful resources available on the GOV.UK website.