A DEEP fat fryer caught fire at a Hereford pub last night.

Two fire engines were called to the Victory in St Owen Street at 9.21pm.

A spokesperson for Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service said the fire involved a deep fat fryer in the ground floor kitchen of a public house.


"It was fought by two firefighters wearing breathing apparatus and using one hose reel jet," he said.

"A dry powder extinguisher and a fire blanket were also used with positive pressure ventilation used on the ground floor and natural ventilation used on the second and third floors. 

"Gas and electrics were isolated. The incident was marked as pending closure at 11.36pm and a reinspection was carried out at 1am before again being marked as pending closure at 2.39pm."