More than one million low-income earners on Universal Credit will eligible to access support to secure promotions and earn higher wages.

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is extending its support, known as the In Work Progression offer, and is rolling it out across England, Scotland and Wales.

Support can include help with CVs and signposting to skills provision.

Work coaches can support in-work claimants to tackle barriers to progression including accessing childcare costs, which, as announced last week, will now be paid up-front rather than in arrears.

Hereford Times:

They can also help eligible claimants with other expenses such as travel costs through the Flexible Support Fund.

Minister for Employment, Guy Opperman MP said: “In Work Progression is one of this Government’s core priorities. It’s about supporting people in work to raise their incomes, and ultimately becoming financially secure.

“Rolling out this voluntary offer nationwide demonstrates our commitment to help even more people take control of their careers and finances, setting them firmly on a pathway to a brighter and more prosperous future.”

From September this year, the Government will start to require that more working people on Universal Credit engage with the In Work Progression offer.

This will ensure that around 460,000 working claimants who are in what’s known as the Light Touch group will receive tailored help to progress and increase their earnings.

DWP Help to Save scheme for Universal Credit

Millions of Universal Credit claimants can get a £600 boost to their savings thanks to the Help to Save scheme.

The government initiative has been extended in an attempt to encourage those on benefits to save the money.

The scheme had been due to end in September but will now continue until April 2025.

Under the Help to Save scheme, for every £1 you put in to your Help to Save account, the government will boost it by 50p up to a certain amount.

If you put £50 each month until the scheme ends in April 2025, you would get £600 back in boosted funds from the government.

You can apply for a Help to Save account here.

You can open a Help to Save account if you’re receiving:

  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit – and you’re entitled to Working Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit and you (with your partner if it’s a joint claim) had take-home pay of £658.64 or more in your last monthly assessment period

If you get payments as a couple, you and your partner can apply for your own Help to Save accounts. You need to apply separately.