FIREFIGHTERS were called to a bin lorry fire sparked by batteries in a Herefordshire street this morning.

Two Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service crews from Hereford fire station were called at 8.47am this morning (August 5) to Dorchester Way in Hereford where the lorry was on fire.

A spokesperson said the fire was in the load. This was removed and extinguished using two hose reel jets with two firefighters wearing special breathing equipment.

There were no casualties and no other emergency services were called and it was dealt with by 9.41am.


Herefordshire Council shared a photo of the firefighters hosing down the lorry.

“Thankfully no one was hurt today, but it's another timely reminder that batteries should not be put in bins,” said a council spokesperson.

“Recycle them at electronic retailers, supermarkets or take to your local household recycling centre.”

More information can be found on how to recycle batteries in the county here.