A person, believed to be an elderly woman, has died after a fire at a house in Malvern.

A neighbour said a 6am explosion "woke up the street" in Churchill Drive.

She said two homes had been evacuated and a bungalow was "gutted".

Hereford Times: Firefighters remove the damaged roof of the house in Churchill Drive, MalvernFirefighters remove the damaged roof of the house in Churchill Drive, Malvern

"It was early in the morning and I heard a boom that sounded like a door slamming.

"The next thing is flames coming from the bungalow.

"The fire brigade and ambulance arrived straight away and the police came quickly too. 

"The police were going house to house and told one of my neighbours that there had been a fatality. 

"The police and fire services are still here and have been here since 6am.

"There is still a police car outside of the bungalow and one fire engine.

"I'm just in shock. I don't know what to do with myself.


"I believe the lady was in her 70s.

"The fire crew were so good and so quick."

She added: "It was so early in the morning that lots of neighbours didn't even know it had happened but I'm an early bird so I was awake.

"One of my neighbours saw the flames and said they were as high as the bungalow and coming out of the roof. 

"It just goes to show you don't know what's going to happen one day to the next."

Inspector Andy Tanner, of south Worcestershire police, said: "At 6.30am today officers were called to Churchill Drive following reports of a house fire.

"The fire has led to one fatality and an investigation led by fire services is underway to ascertain the causes of the fire but at this stage it is not being treated as suspicious. 

"There is likely to be a police and fire presence in the area for the next 24 hour period so we thank everyone for their patience and apologise for any inconvenience caused by our being there.

"The cause of the fire is unknown at this stage."

There were five fire engines, three police cars and two ambulances on the scene.

West Mercia Police have since confirmed that one person has died.