THE first of a series of plaques recording the historic bridges of Leominster has been put into place at the town's old nightclub.

In a joint project by Leominster Civic Society and Grange Court, the blue plaque has been placed on corner of the Leominster Masonic Centre, which used to be Euphoria nightclub.

The plaque, in West Street, records the site of Battle Bridge which spanned the town ditch and was named after a battle in 1052 between the Welsh under Prince of Wales Gruffydd ap Llywelyn and Earl of Hereford Ranulph of Mantes, known as Ralph the Timid, who was defeated.

The cost of the plaque was met by masonic centre trustees.